Photographic Maestros

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
Perhaps I could convince the accomplished Paph photographers to post a pic of their set-up and a brief description and suggestions. I have watched SlipperKings photographic skills improve dramaticaly over the last short while under Slipperfans obviously more than able tuition.
I continue to struggle to get a halfway decent pic, and often am too embarrassed with the result to post my picture, and am sure that there are others that have the same problem

Thanks Dot, there is a wealth of info in that reply of yours. Some of it was a bit over my head being a novice photographer. At least I have a starting point now. The photo of your setup was especially helpful. I need to create a dedicated setup in order to take my pictures. I currently wander arround the house and garden trying to find a suitably lit spot, then end up having to contend with sun/shadow, wind, and of course my very inquisitive dogs. My first order of business is to find a suitable spot arround the house and then try and make a screen. I see you have used PVC pipe to construct yours?
I currently try and use a dark sheet, but light shines through it and it does not seem to work too well apart from making my wife angry when she find a sheet draped over a bush or the dog kennel.

take some pics, tell us what you did, we can let you know how it might work better with what you have available (though you did just give us some info)

for field photography, a white umbrella made for weddings is a good light screen and blocks some wind. a trip to a fabric store and asking for a swath of the whitest synthetic fabric can help create a screen that both filters light and blocks air movement. there are light boxes that can fold up and unfold wherever you want, and they are usually yellowish-white, have a hole in the bottom and can hold a small sheet of gray or black background material. they can filter light and block wind

I've been playing with photography for a while, but I finally started to study about artificial lighting a couple years ago. Digital makes it much easier since it's easy to experiment, and you can see the results immediately. I like this book a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science...369291996&sr=8-1&keywords=understanding+light

It covers basics, and after understanding this, I can start to see how photographers are using lighting in creative ways. With a couple of cheap manual speed lights and cheap radio flash triggers, you can have lots of fun!

take some pics, tell us what you did, we can let you know how it might work better with what you have available (though you did just give us some info)

for field photography, a white umbrella made for weddings is a good light screen and blocks some wind. a trip to a fabric store and asking for a swath of the whitest synthetic fabric can help create a screen that both filters light and blocks air movement. there are light boxes that can fold up and unfold wherever you want, and they are usually yellowish-white, have a hole in the bottom and can hold a small sheet of gray or black background material. they can filter light and block wind

My intention with this thread is not only to improve my own photographic skills, but to collect as much info about photographing orchids in one place that anyone on ST currently, or 'Newbies' have a central collection of all the info that they may need to hone their skills and post as good photos of their treasures as is possible.

Thanks to all who have already posted links and suggestions, your info is awesome. I already have an idea on how to start improving, and am sure I will be refering back to the accumulated info to fine tune my set-up.:)

I learned years ago as a teenager with a manual pentex 35mm with about 5 different lenses to not to take it all that serious.If you do you are never happy with your photos.I was spending more time learning how to use/tracking down and buying better tips for the spray paint cans for what I was photographing.If you're too serious about it,what you are trying to do becomes a pain in the ass.Its the same theory I use with growing my Orchids.Post what you have,because I am sure we all seen worse.I aways wanted a tripod though,because with all the meds I am on my hands shake like a homeless junkie.

... I see you have used PVC pipe to construct yours?
I currently try and use a dark sheet, but light shines through it and it does not seem to work too well apart from making my wife angry when she find a sheet draped over a bush or the dog kennel.
Yes, the structure is PVC pipe. The black is black velvet cloth -- it wasn't totally opaque, so I placed a piece of black plastic behind it. Now no light gets through.
Thanks Dot.
Will re read.
It seems you don't use artificial light. I might need to if I do the photos in the garage. Any ideas?

thanks again.
If I had to use a flash, I would shine it into a white umbrella (with a black opaque cloth in back so the light doesn't pass through, but bounces back onto the subject. Either that or buy/make a soft box. Both methods diffuse the light so that the subject gets soft light and harsh shadows are avoided.

One of our past members (Uri) used his white ceiling and walls as a soft box, and made very beautiful photographs with that method.

Here is my hi tech setup that sits under my pergola. I just use natural light. I think the filtered even light from above is beneficial. You want bright but consistent light. You can see there are no real shadows under the pergola. Wind can be a problem so I mainly shoot in the morning.

David, I see that you place the camera very far from the plant. Do you not use a macro lens? Yours is a setup that I suppose I could provide without too much (appart from the camera) additional expense.

David, I see that you place the camera very far from the plant. Do you not use a macro lens? Yours is a setup that I suppose I could provide without too much (appart from the camera) additional expense.

In this case I was taking a photo of the whole plant and spike so I had to move it back a bit to get it all in the frame. For the photo of the individual flower I was much closer. You can use a macro lens to take normal photos, not just closeups. Macro lens are very sharp and provide high quality images, so they can be used for other purposes. In particular, macros make very good portrait lens.

Trithor, macro lens can have long focal

That is right. This one is just 60 mm but I do have a 150 mm macro lens.

Simple

On the inside of the door on a Garden Shed situated between the Orchid house and the main house I have fixed some colored foam rubber,When the door is opened it is in natural shade,perfect for my hand held Canon IXUS 120IS.
I attached a plastic pot to an old tripod and use this to hold the subject at the correct angle.
If I get lucky enough to take an award photo I use my Nikon Coolpix P90 on a tripod.---simple ---simple---simple.
Must get some black foam soon.

like he said.
Its the lighting set up and configuration and tips that i'd find useful - not the camera skills, so much

Attachments

• Garden Shed IMG_1352.JPG
    Garden Shed IMG_1352.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Garden Shed IMG_1355.JPG
    Garden Shed IMG_1355.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 8
  • G Tripod IMG_1357.JPG
    G Tripod IMG_1357.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 6
  • Canon IXUS 120ISDSCN2772.JPG
    Canon IXUS 120ISDSCN2772.JPG