Philippinensis won't bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

daniella3d

HI,

I have 2 philippinensis that should be blooming size. At least one should be, and I have them for a year and half now and they never bloomed. What can I try to make this happen?

They receive full sun from a south-west window, so lots of direct sunlight. I fertilize weekly weakly with MSU fertiliser. It's growing many new shoots but no flowers.

I can get a caudatum to bloom but no can do for these philippinensis.

Should I change the fertilizer for a bloom boost? They are very healthy plants, just not blooming.

so what's their season and how can I help them get into blooming condition?

It has 5 fans and growing 2 more now, so they are going to be 7.

It's growing like weeds for now.

if it hasnt bloomed by now then it may not be ready..some phils need a few fans to be BS before they deliver..same with phil hybrids

Mine does not bloom as well, but is growing fine. I'll give it a new pot around November and hope for a spike or more in spring...
Since it gets strong dappled sun, it is growing even better. That should help.

Last edited:
Give it another year.
It sounds like it is doing very well.

Each plant has a character sometimes.
I've seen this species in bloom on a single growth or two.
Then I've seen it flower on a massive specimen (first bloom with many spikes).
It might give you a couple of spikes next summer.
Still no flowers by then, I would still keep it as long as it grows well as it does now. It should flower very soon given the size of yours.

Fingers crossed.

If you can upload a pic of the plant and where you grow it we can give you much more precise answers for your problem. Without that it is more of a guessing game...

I remember Paul Phillips telling me that he had a phil that wouldn't bloom, so he threw it under a bench and forgot about it. Then one day he noticed it was blooming. At the time I heard that, I was putting my orchids outside for the summer. I decided to put my phil behind other plants so that it was completely shaded. It bloomed the best it ever has. I think I'll try that again, as it hasn't been blooming well lately.

I think I will try that next spring too.

Maybe I should try a bloom booster in spring?

wow, what type of advise is that? part of the fun and challenge is to get an orchid to bloom, not to sell it and buy something in bloom.

I like challenges I guess, that is why I bought a small sanderianum...and probably have to wait 10 years before I see it bloom.

Also it is very hard to find this type of orchids here and if I would manage to find one, it would be out of my budget. In the USA, you would probably find one for 15$ at the Home Depot but not here.

Put them up for sale and get something that will make you happy.

I've been told by a few growers that paph phil will flower often if grown in warm conditions, I've also seen a plant with only one small fan flowering (from the guy that told me they liked warmth)

wow, what type of advise is that? part of the fun and challenge is to get an orchid to bloom, not to sell it and buy something in bloom.

I like challenges I guess, that is why I bought a small sanderianum...and probably have to wait 10 years before I see it bloom.

Also it is very hard to find this type of orchids here and if I would manage to find one, it would be out of my budget. In the USA, you would probably find one for 15$ at the Home Depot but not here.

I think he meant well, and it is actually very important and practical one for many of us.
With so many different plants to try and such limited space available (no matter what the space you have, it is never enough, depending on your appetite and passion :)

Then, different people have different goals, challenges and preference.

I think your phily should bloom next summer.

I've been told by a few growers that paph phil will flower often if grown in warm conditions, I've also seen a plant with only one small fan flowering (from the guy that told me they liked warmth)

This species is a warm grower, but "flower often" is rather misleading in my opinion as they do have distinct flowering season.

Just wait on it. Sometimes these big Paphs don't bloom until they are multi growth. I did nothing special with mine and it bloomed regularly. Special fertilizer isn't necessary. I'm sure you'll be posting photos of it within the next year....just have patience. :)

I'll bet any one person, they don't bloom within a year.
$50.00 says both plants are duds. :)

I'm good for it, and everybody knows it.

Latest posts

Back