Phalaenopsis celebensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I forgot yet another orchid that I actually managed to take two photos earlier this summer.

This is my one of my two species Phals I have left (the other one is a lindenii), and this is only the second time it has flowered since I got it about three years ago. It took me some time to figure out why it refused to flower (while still being the only species Phal that clearly thrived in my conditions), but now that I know, I think I might be able to control when I want it to flower or not. It seems my living room is too warm for it to initiate blooming, so I put it in the kitchen in December I think, and presto! One spike produced.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of it when all the flowers had opened, but it's better than nothing:

20566342582_15792974e5_b.jpg

20387298268_0e3575eecf_b.jpg

Thank you, I was very happy it decided to flower again. No, that's what the species looks like. It would be really interesting to see a peloric celebensis, however. :D

that's pretty. Is it peloric?

Yes, Sweet and Christenson have both noted this species as being a stabilized peloric. It's a dominant trait in breeding as well.

Like lindenii, this species has beautiful mottled foliage, with celebensis having an unmistakable light grey sheen.

Yes, Sweet and Christenson have both noted this species as being a stabilized peloric. It's a dominant trait in breeding as well.

Like lindenii, this species has beautiful mottled foliage, with celebensis having an unmistakable light grey sheen.
I had no idea they're peloric! You learn something new every day. :D

I love the small, cool growing Phals.! They're sooo pretty
once one takes the time to really look at the bloom closely.
Not to mention their lovely foliage. :smitten:

Actually, it seems the celebensis is not a cool growing Phal. I thought it wanted lower temperatures too, but when searching the web, all I found was information that it likes it warm.

My experience seems to support this as it was the best growing species Phal. I had, when I kept it in my living room together with the lindenii. The lindenii was NOT happy, probably because it was too warm. However, when I moved both of them into the kitchen (my colder room) this winter, the lindenii started growing better, while this one started losing leaves (but it spiked instead). I'll keep the celebensis in the living room until I want it to flower next time. Now, I want it to grow some leaves again. :)

Nice. This and lindenii are two very good species choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Small, wonderful foliage, and with cute flowers. If they were both fragrant, they would be perfect. :D

Latest posts

Back