Phal. bellina "red apple"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I forgot to add, is that the plant also looks like a pure bellina. THe leaves of bellina tend to be more "Round" in shape, as the leaves of violacea are a little more pointed.

RObert

That is truly spectacular - ? self it?

Thanks! That is what I eventually plan to do with it. It still was a little too small to hold a seedpod the first time it bloomed, and I didn't want to risk killing it by selfing it, but I did backcross it to both of it's parents, to hopefully get some more solid colored bellina's..It will be interesting to see what the genetics of this trait will be, will it be dominant or recessive?

Robert

One thing I forgot to add, is that the plant also looks like a pure bellina. THe leaves of bellina tend to be more "Round" in shape, as the leaves of violacea are a little more pointed.

RObert

Yes, but I can see many bellina/violacea cross with round leave in Hong Kong, and there were deliberations on whether pure blood bellina still exist in the market some years ago. From the post, the conclusion is it is very hard to tell whether the plant is a pure bellina bu just looking at the form of bloom and leave, but should do with their parents.

Thank you for your information anyway and I shall start some discussions in Hong Kong's forum for new enlightenments.

12 Aug 2014 - 3 red apples :)
IMG_1886_zps2af90ece.jpg

IMG_1888_zpsef4d5ca7.jpg

The new bloom dresses exotic red color :D
IMG_1887_zpsfd0092bd.jpg

Latest posts

Back