Phal. bellina "red apple"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camellkc

Reaction score
Phal. bellina "red apple" (12 Aug 2014 updated)

I bought it in bloom in a very high price last year and it flowers again now. The plant grows all right so far and the flower size increased. I am very satisfied with its performance and would like to share here!

DSCN0739_zpsbccb9588.jpg

DSCN0743_zpsf78981dd.jpg

Last edited:
I have a cross that's very similar and it's very beautiful even on first bloom
flowers. The fragrance is citrus and something I can't quite define. Your
bloom has a bit more red and is absolutely gorgeous.

I have a cross that's very similar and it's very beautiful even on first bloom
flowers. The fragrance is citrus and something I can't quite define. Your
bloom has a bit more red and is absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you! Actually, I think the bloom get more color today since it fully opened yesterday, here is the photo taken this morning:-
DSCN0764_zpsc1567065.jpg

The first bud on the second spike will be in bloom very soon:-
DSCN0761_zpsb03e506e.jpg

A comparison between my "red apple" and my traditional bellina:-
DSCN0766_zpsb4e7f09d.jpg

I don't think it's the photo. The color is not apple-red, but that doesn't take away from its beauty.

Thank you for the appreciation on the bloom.

Actually, the clone's name "red apple" is defined in Taiwan (I remember, correct me if I am wrong) based on more red color on the bloom, as compared with original bellina. As you may aware, the red portion occupies larger space on the bloom with the yellow-green margin disappeared. Of course, the color of the blooms is not "apple-red".

My similar bellina has the "red" somewhere between the bellina and your
gorgeous "red apple". There's one out there somewhere called "Ruby"
that I've been chasing for years. It is completely red. I've seen photos,
but not the real plant. Have you seen one anywhere?

The redest bloom I have seen so far is from "red apple" clone. Also, bellina with good form and color is not easy to find now in Hong Kong.

Actually, the clone's name "red apple" is defined in Taiwan (I remember, correct me if I am wrong) based on more red color on the bloom, as compared with original bellina. As you may aware, the red portion occupies larger space on the bloom with the yellow-green margin disappeared. Of course, the color of the blooms is not "apple-red".
Thanks. Good explanation.

Thanks for explaining that. Certainly has more colour than the standard.

Good one!, but for comparison, I already posted this bellina before, it is one from our own crosses, and it is probably THE darkest bellina I have ever seen (and yes, it is a pure bellina and not a violacea, or violacea/bellina cross):

Robert

Good one!, but for comparison, I already posted this bellina before, it is one from our own crosses, and it is probably THE darkest bellina I have ever seen (and yes, it is a pure bellina and not a violacea, or violacea/bellina cross):

Robert

Thanks for the exotic bloom. I can recognize the trait of a Bellina in terms of form from the bloom but not from its color. I think the "red color" of this bloom deviates from what a standard bellina shall be. I wonder it is a pure cross of bellina. Do you remember the parents?

Thanks for the exotic bloom. I can recognize the trait of a Bellina in terms of form from the bloom but not from its color. I think the "red color" of this bloom deviates from what a standard bellina shall be. I wonder it is a pure cross of bellina. Do you remember the parents?

Yes, it is a pure bellina cross. Actually both parents were "normal". I think this seedling has some random mutation causing it to be solid magenta in color. I know it is pure, because #1 it looks and smells different than Phal. Samera (=bellina x violacea), it smells like a pure bellina, and #2 I did make a Samera cross, but that was between Phal. violacea coerulea and Phal. bellina coerulea, and those seedlings looked very different compared to this plant (the shape is very different, they smell different and the color is different). #3 I have never backcrossed Phal. Samera back onto bellina. If this seedling was from someone else's cross, than yes, I would have doubted the background to be pure bellina, but I know it came from Phal. bellina x Phal. bellina...

These were the parents:
Phal. bellina 'Round Star':

and Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' AM/AOS:

Robert

Yes, it is a pure bellina cross. Actually both parents were "normal". I think this seedling has some random mutation causing it to be solid magenta in color. I know it is pure, because #1 it looks and smells different than Phal. Samera (=bellina x violacea), it smells like a pure bellina, and #2 I did make a Samera cross, but that was between Phal. violacea coerulea and Phal. bellina coerulea, and those seedlings looked very different compared to this plant (the shape is very different, they smell different and the color is different). #3 I have never backcrossed Phal. Samera back onto bellina. If this seedling was from someone else's cross, than yes, I would have doubted the background to be pure bellina, but I know it came from Phal. bellina x Phal. bellina...

These were the parents:
Phal. bellina 'Round Star':

and Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' AM/AOS:

Robert

Thank you Robert. It is very interesting to learn the story. May I borrow your photos for some discussions on other forums in Hong Kong?

These are both very nice, yours Camellkc, and the cross you have made Drorchid. Both are enviably beautiful and special.

Latest posts

Back