Phal amabilis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
This is the first bloom of this plant. I got it from Oak Hill Gardens. This plant probably does not have the so-called "good shape" among AOS type people. But I prefer more natural shapes, so I'm happy that this wasn't a strongly, artificially selected one. It is a very common species, so pretty boring for most people. But I think it has the back-to-the-basic kind of beauty.

This plant is probably not the single origin plant (i.e. crossed between different regions), but it seems to be close to the Borneo type according to the info in this page:
Phal. amabilis

Borneo type is supposed to be a large flower type (mine is NS 96.45mm) with yellowish whisker, and the base of the petals is narrow. The shapes of the callus are supposed to be different among different varieties, but I can't quite tell the difference (other than it is different from Taiwan type). I wish that I could easily find the "single origin" plants of this species, so I can learn about the natural variations.

It's been rapidly growing under an old-fashioned two-band (purely red + blue) LED grow light.

Phalaenopsis amabilis on Flickr

Phalaenopsis amabilis lip on Flickr

Phalaenopsis amabilis plant on Flickr

Not boring at all! Though I love the hybrid-whites, none of them can match the moth-like appearance of these delicate flowers, that gorgeous 'window', the very large and delicate whiskers, and that up and down movement and kind of shivering when a soft breeze makes the spike come to life!
Mine is supposed to be 'Sabah'-variety, and the flowers weren't as big as yours.
Great plant!

I think it looks great.

One of my favorite parts of this species flower is the long whips on the lip.

I wish my wife would let me grow my mustache like that!!

Thanks all. Secun, I'd like to see photos of Sabah type (probably it's going to flower soon?) Hera, I didn't notice it, but you are right, the lateral lobes? (the things which sticks out from the lip) is pretty open compared with some others which I have seen. Rick, I like the whiskers, too. Angela, yes, I guess this species is the base of many popular Phal hybrids, right?

Here are two photos from last summer:
P9070048.jpg

P4175751.jpg

Thank you for the photos, Secun. The whiskers of yours are much more intense yellow. I'm not sure if Sabah-type is different from Borneo-type, described in the ranwild webpage, but yours look like a very close match to the wild ones! Very nice.

Nice flowers. I've heard that though amabilis is listed as parent if a lot of phals, they believe that Aphrodite may actually be the parent ( or something similar to that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's gorgeous. The petal shape really does stand out and makes me realize how boring and homogenized the modern white complex phal hybrids can be. Sure, it's nice to see wide, full petals, but they all look like that. I honestly prefer the shape and appearance of this species.

Here's mine.

I think the tag actually says amabilis var formosoma, which is messed up since it's not an aphrodite (based on callus structure)

It is a nicely round one! Is it the type with lots of flowers per inflorescence?

WhaT counts as "lots" Naoki? This plant is not that big, but it will hold 8-10 flowers per spike at this time? Also it branches and reblooms off of old spikes from previous seasons.

Latest posts

Back