Pecteilis susannae - FINALLY!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
I'm glad it didn't blast this year... After a long wait of 3 years, it reblooms! No fragrance that I can detect...

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

A perspective of scale:
IMG_2777.jpg

WOW:clap::drool::D........

WOW:clap::drool::D

(I had to go back twice after the shock of seeing this the first time)

Very cool! I'm glad you took the shot with the hand for perspective; I never would have guessed how large the blooms were otherwise.

I've tried and failed 3 x growing these from flask. My most favorite terrestrial. Joe Arditti's story about how this was named should be made into a movie. I'm sure it can be found in a google search. He wrote it in Orchid Bio 1 (I think) and it might be somewhere in the old OLD archives.

Thanks all for the comments. :)

One of the most outstanding features of this species is the size of the flower - it is surprising the first time you see it in person.

Tom, how nice to hear from you again. I don't see you on this forum often enough. :p Susannae is difficult to find here. I suspect primarily because collectors or hobbyists do not know how to maintain it for long periods of time (dry dormancy requirement). This plant is the only one I have ever seen offered for sale anywhere. I have never seen any in competitions, despite being involved in orchid-growing for over 10 years now..

I thought Michael Ooi had them and medusae for sale... I bought my medusae tubers from him a few years ago, but I think mine dried out too much and it isn't coming up again this year. I bought it through someone else who visited the redland orchid festival in miami. I have too many plants... the medusae wasn't hard to take care of and it shouldn't have died, just too many distractions

I thought Michael Ooi had them and medusae for sale... I bought my medusae tubers from him a few years ago, but I think mine dried out too much and it isn't coming up again this year.

Maybe he does, but are you sure they are artificially-propagated? If this species is truly as common as claimed to be, I would have seen them for sale more often. This species is threatened due to habitat destruction and over-collecting for sale.

Back