pc problem :(, pc experts please help...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to boot from windows cd and it says that it did not find any hard disk drives... So perhaps the hdd has broken down?

After that and until writing this message (it is my laptop that I am using now) it did a faint whistling noise and it turned off on its own.

This is getting more mysterious than ever!!

Is the hard drive plugged back in now? Can you recheck the connectors and make sure they're firmly in place?

If it's the hard drive that was making the noises, then that's not a good sign at all and the HD may be dead.

Usually, though, a dying hard drive will make scratching & ticking type noises for awhile before they go dead -- outside of a server / production environment I've never seen one die so very suddenly.

Did you connect the power cable. Beeping noise is probably a code for "can't detect hdd. If so on the pata selection. Try both, pata and sata.

Thank you for your replies!!!

Does any of your suggestions might solve the turning off?

The power cable is always in position and the connections of other cables are ok.

I might try the pata sata solution...and see if problem is solved

Otherwise I think that I need a new pc...

Take note of all the configurations and restore defaults on the bios settings. If it can't still read your hdd. Time to replace it unfortunately.

Did you connect the power cable. Beeping noise is probably a code for "can't detect hdd. If so on the pata selection. Try both, pata and sata.

I did it and all I get is this message after a bit of loading info:

Boot Failure
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device
Press any key when ready

Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
Perhaps the hdd is indeed dead...
:( :( :(

I did it and all I get is this message after a bit of loading info:

Boot Failure
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device
Press any key when ready

Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
Perhaps the hdd is indeed dead...
:( :( :(

Very likely dead hard drive!

Paphman910

Dot, usually you say stuff I want to say, but you say it first. This time I
got it out first. We're definitely on the same wave length, dear Mac lady!

hehehehe!

Did you find out the problem?

Paphman910

Nope!!! I think it is time for a new one.
(And since the pc will be for gaming too, I do not think a Mac would be suitable)

I was going to say that hardware problems could plagued the macs too. They use the same hardware manufacturers that makes the hardware for the PC.
It all comes down to OS preference really.

Anyways, goodluck with your new PC biothanasis. What games do you play right now? :)

Dot, usually you say stuff I want to say, but you say it first. This time I
got it out first. We're definitely on the same wave length, dear Mac lady!
As I said -- I think we are twins. We really should meet someday...
...Nope!!! I think it is time for a new one.
(And since the pc will be for gaming too, I do not think a Mac would be suitable)
You'd have to talk to all the Mac gamers about that!

That reminds me of yesteryear, when PC people said if you needed a serious computer, you had to buy a PC -- Macs were only toys. Have we come full circle?

I think 10 years is a good lifespan for a pc.
Excellent, actually.

Though I still have my first computer, a 1992 Mac Quadra 700. Of couse, it doesn't run anything anymore. I keep it in case I have to access floppy disks (either Mac or PC) and to play a couple old games...:D

Indeed we should Dot. We have a very nice barndominium for guests and
offer greenhouse snooping and free food and lots of very friendly dogs to
play with. Come as you are rules.

The pendulum has swung........again.

I do not disrespect Mac users or davices (although they are kind of different to use, which is a matter of practice) but I know/heard that many game titles are not compatible with Mac os. (maybe I am wrong?)

Eggshells I am playing mainly Skyrim now, but I like several others like Prince of Persia (the newest ones from Warrior within and on, Tomb raider, LOTR both strategy & action...) I would like to play newer ones too, but the hardware did not agree with me... hehehehe! So I kind of recycle the ones I have...:(

Eggshells I am playing mainly Skyrim now, but I like several others like Prince of Persia (the newest ones from Warrior within and on, Tomb raider, LOTR both strategy & action...) I would like to play newer ones too, but the hardware did not agree with me... hehehehe! So I kind of recycle the ones I have...:(

I am in the same boat. I can't seem to replace my 5770 because I am sinking so much money for plants. Anyways, one of these days I am going to stop buying (Yes, I said that quite a few times last year).

I haven't played Skyrim because I don't want to purchase Bethesda products right away (bug ridden issues) and then I forgotten about it. I was playing Diablo III for a while but progression is slow. I am playing on my ps3 console lately. If you like JRPG, try Ni No Kuni. Highly recommended.

if you have windows emulator you can play intel games on the mac

though to be fair, if the game needs all the requirements of the computer, part of the processing is used by the mac to emulate the windows os

in general, mac parts may be built by some of the same manufacturers that build pc parts, but generally what goes into the macs is the higher end components, and the mac os gets built and tweaked for it's components; windows has to go on a variety of systems and components, not always very well-built or configured. I believe that this is the or one of the major reasons why apple doesn't want knockoff systems that use the apple os (compatibility).

traditionally mac systems last longer than the average pc ones, and the cheaper pc units definitely don't have as much upgradeability or higher end components in them, that's why they're cheap. I read in a pc magazine many of these points, where they were conceding that when you paid more for a mac system than a pc one, it was because of the quantity or quality of the components in the mac systems; the adage that you get what you pay for was correct (though I was reading recently where apple uses various price watching schemes to make sure vendors don't lower the price too much for any of their apple products :( )

Last edited:
Back