pc problem :(, pc experts please help...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hi everyone,

I seem to have a desktop pc problem that I caused on my own...

The pc was doing a screatching noise, imagine the start up beep noise being like a long scratch or similar (well I cannot describe it better :()

I thought it might be the elevated temprature of the hdd (I was playing a game), so I turned it off and opened the cap to clean any dust and residues inside the box, after unplugging it.

After cleaning was done, I unplugged the floppy disk device, since I do not need it and started the pc.

When the pc was loading to get into windows, after searching the boot devices (which were in the following order cd/dvd driver, floppy, hard disk) it was asking for inserting a disk in the flopy device.

I closed it from the button, and did so after some trials of thinking it would not show it again. But then I remembered the DOS environment where I should deactivate the booting proceedure.

However, I plugged it in and opened the pc again. At that time I accidentally hit f10 instead of delete and it took me to the recovery where I pressed the ''Y'' as suggested (don't ask me why I did it....). The hdd started making noises (perhaps indicating the proceedure) and since I could not find any way to stop it, I pressed the close button to turn it off.

I turned on the pc and after it being open for some seconds it turned off on its own... I unplugged the hdd (2 cable types) when turned off, plugged it again and re-turned on the device. It actually did turn off on its own 2-3 times. The third I was in the DOS environment trying to change the booting devises...

Since I have done such blind steps, could you please suggest any solution?
Buying a new hdd would be my last option...

Thank you in advance! :eek:

A screeching noise may be from the bearings in the HDD, and if they are binding and slowing it enough that the drive cannot be read properly, that may explain why the system was asking for a floppy boot disk.

happened to me. I write books, so have to have the PC. It´s not easy, here in Panamá.
I tried everything. What finally worked (the HD is, as are other parts, on their connectors outside of the box.)
I picked up the HD. It was not running.
I tapped it lightly, then turned it over, on the theory the weight would be on the other side of the bearing.
It worked.
I have now bought a cheap little fan that plugs into a USB port. As soon as the PC is turned on, it´s working. The HD doesn´t get hot anymore.
I don´t have the net at home, so come to a café for this. I couldn´t afford to write the books here. Even if it´s only fifty cents per hour, it would take too much and I can´t stand the distractions with the atmosphere here of people coming and going.

Thank you for the reply Ray, but the screetching noise was evident during the gameplay. I had similar incident when the temp was getting too high during playing games.

After the recovery begun there was a repeating beeping noise, which stopped after turning off the pc manually throught the button and did not happen again.

But after the whole incident the pc turns off on it own. I checked the power plugging and everything seems ok.

Thank you for the suggestion maitaman

I do not know if this is the exact problem....
The pc is not booting from the hdd

In fact the exact message is:

Boot failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready

This happened only when I disconnected the floppy disk...

Also when I hit F8 it does not lead me anywhere. It says "A: Disk error, Press F1 to continue"
and the pc turns off after a few seconds.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for the suggestion maitaman

I do not know if this is the exact problem....
The pc is not booting from the hdd

In fact the exact message is:

Boot failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready

This happened only when I disconnected the floppy disk...

Also when I hit F8 it does not lead me anywhere. It says "A: Disk error, Press F1 to continue"
and the pc turns off after a few seconds.

Any suggestions?

Your boot device sequence is set to the floppy controller so that is why you get that message. You need to get into the BIOS to change it to HDD. To get into BIOS you need to press the DEL button when you turn on the computer.

What are you specs on your computer?

Paphman910

Hi paphman! Thanks for the info on this.

I did this but when I get to bios, to change booting devices, it only gives me the option of the CD/DVD driver.
The other option says BBS-0 (Network): Realtek Boot Agent
I cannot find the hdd driver, which would be Western digital (caviar), serial ata, 120gb

The pc turns off on its own almost every time I turn it on now.
Did that recovery failure I caused just crached the hdd? But why should it not let the pc turned on until I turn it off?

Specs are:
Intel Pentium 4 - 3.0Ghz
Nvidia GeoForce7800GS (265MB) (AGP)
motherboard: MSI 865PE Neo 2-V
hdd: Western digital (caviar), serial ata, 120gb
RAM 1GB (2x 500mb)

This is almost a 10 year old pc that has served me very well so far... Never had any problems... :eek: The cd/dvd driver does not work properly, but everything else was just fine, till now...

I did this but when I get to bios, to change booting devices, it only gives me the option of the CD/DVD driver.
I cannot find the hdd driver, which would be Western digital (caviar), serial ata, 120gb

Did that recovery failure I caused just crached the hdd? But why should it not let the pc turned on until I turn it off?

Specs are:
Intel Pentium 4 - 3.0Ghz
RAM 1GB (2x 500mb)

This is almost a 10 year old pc that has served me very well so far... Never had any problems... :eek: The cd/dvd driver does not work properly, but everything else was just fine, till now...

Sounds like a motherboard issue. Do you have a spare hard drive that you can test with it? A failing hard drive does not register in the BIOS and could be the problem.

Paphman910

Specs are:
Intel Pentium 4 - 3.0Ghz
RAM 1GB (2x 500mb)

Your motherboard does not have a serial ATA connector .... maybe you are using some sort of ATA to SATA adaptor.

Paphman910

The motherboard is connected with the hdd through a flat orange cable with black heads. It is connected on the mb on a slot called SATA2 (it has 2 slots to be more precise..)

The motherboard is connected with the hdd through a flat orange cable with black heads. It is connected on the mb on a slot called SATA2 (it has 2 slots to be more precise..)

Check your BIOS .... Integrated Peripherals .... On-Chip IDE Configuration ...

When you enter the On-Chip IDE Configuration you should change the S-ATA Keep Enabled to "YES"

Paphman910

thank you ! I will try it... I hope it does not turn off on its own again... :(

on On-Chip IDE Configuration menu it says that
S-ATA keep enabled is ''Yes''
But in ATA configuration it says ''P-ATA''

here is a photo of what this menu says...

Attachments

• sata final.JPG
    sata final.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 4
Really? Only one sound when it starts, but if I hit f8 it does it for as many times as I hit it...

Here is the bios menu for booting devices:

Attachments

• IMAG0359sss.JPG
    IMAG0359sss.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 3
Really? Only one sound when it starts, but if I hit f8 it does it for as many times as I hit it...

Here is the bios menu for booting devices:

One sound during start up is fine

F8 is suppose to get you in safe mode.

If it doesn't show your hard drive in BIOS, maybe motherboard ICH5 controller have issues.

Paphman910

Thank you for your suggestions and your time so far..!

Yes, I tried getting in safe mode that is why I mentioned it and also in case it would help.

So the chip has problems?
The sudden turning off on its own could be of that too?
Perhaps something is causing a breakdown...

Latest posts

Back