paphiopedilum x siamensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
in bud

dscf1686bildgrenderndr0.jpg

my thought too, don't see any callosum. It's quite nice at this point BUT if you wanted the other.....:(

Hakone,
Here is the images of appletonianum from Cribb's second edition. Not the best pictures but I think you will be able to tell that your plant falls within the range of the species.
Pandora Sellars painting:
appletonianumcribsbook.jpg

Flower parts:
cribappleton.jpg

staminode:
P10003011.jpg

Paph appletonianum tends to have a very strong influence on hybrids and I've seen the identity of hybrids questioned before. And if this is the natural hybrid x siamense, then it covers all the naturally occuring intergrades between the 2 species and could be an F2 (or 3 or ...) or more than half appletonianum and still be correctly identified even if it doesn't resemble callosum at all.

I'm reserving any opinion on Hakones flower until it's fully open, but Jean's clearly shows callosum influence in the dorsal.

I've seen so many x siamenses in the last couple of years both at shows and on sales lists, that I wonder if this hybrid is terribly common in nature (and thus there are plenty of collected plants being offered) or if in fact these plants are the man-made equivalent, Paph. Siamense?

If it's natural, it's collector's item at best. Man-made, it's an applicant for the "nonsense cross of the year" award.

Cheers, Carsten

I agree with Hakone in so far that the staminodium of his flower is quite deeply notched and I can see why he sees callosum influence there. But I have to agree with Rick as well, the staminode in the appletonianum group is so variable, it is hard to base an identification solely on this feature. From what I can see in his pic so far, Hakones flower is very heavy on the appletonianum side, at least.
I googled a bit and found a few pics of "x siamense". They show some variation but in most cases the callosum influence is visible, and that's the way I remember the x siamenses I've seen at shows.
Also, in addition to my previous comment, some comments to those pics on vendor sites indicate that the plants offered are seed grown, and that makes them Siamense not x siamense. Which is good.
Still, x siamense would be something for the treasure hunter and Siamense for the trash box, in my opinion.

Cheers, Carsten

Latest posts

Back