Paphiopedilum violascens 'Wössen'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Here some pictures
Paphiopedilum violascens

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08Pflanzeb.jpg

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08BlteFronta.jpg

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08BlteFrontAusschnitta.jpg

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08BlteRckseite.jpg

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08BlteSeitea.jpg

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08BlteSeiteb.jpg

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08BlteSeiteb.jpg

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08BlteSeitec.jpg

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08BlteSeited.jpg

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssen2011-08BlteFrontAusschnittb.jpg

The pictures I have made in the nursery Wössner Orchideenzucht

Best greetings from the south of Bavaria

Olaf

Not yet cultivated that one, and the plant start to suffer, dull leaves... It blooms on jungle roots here, it can do way better.

There were plants in spike in the collector batch I spoke about in another post - plus another batch from april... I will have some in bloom in the coming days too, same plants.

Violascens is quite easy to grow if you keep it warm, very shaded and extremely wet all the time... If the pot dries well for even one day the roots stop growing. If it happens several times or if it dries too much the roots die and the plant follows...

Nice violascens. I suspect I have one youngling but I'm not sure. The seller marked it as papuanum but the photo used demonstrates violascens.

Thanks Roth for the cultivation tips. I use Sphagnum moss as the pure medium which could keep the medium moist for longer time. Would that be appropriate?

Violascens is quite easy to grow if you keep it warm, very shaded and extremely wet all the time... If the pot dries well for even one day the roots stop growing. If it happens several times or if it dries too much the roots die and the plant follows...
Sounds like a good candidate for s/h culture. Anyone know a source so I can experiment?

Sounds like a good candidate for s/h culture. Anyone know a source so I can experiment?

Well, there should be some in the USA... Sangii is very similar in its behavior.

Many times, people are scared by rot, but in fact I found out that for some species, if the roots dry out a little bit, there are many wounds that open, the tip dies as well nearly overnight, and it is the entry door for diseases, that 'rot' the plant or even the base of the plant ( if sangii dries out too much, the base of the leaf dries first, leaving a lot of dead tissues and cells...). If you can keep them wet all the time, they never rot.

If they dry out, they need to be repotted again, the dead root tips removed, etc... and it is very complicated. If you just water after a drought, the plant will eventually succumb to rot after some weeks or months, depending on the length of the roots (the dead root tip will rot, and it will move upwards to the rhizome).

Dimorphorchis lowii, rossii, some vanda, the esmeralda clarkei and cathcarthii, paphio randsii, anitum, etc... are very fast and easy growers if they are potted like terrestrials, kept wet all the time.

Latest posts

Back