Paphiopedilum vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are probably in a very exclusive club, owning and blooming an Antec vietnamense!
I was going to say ... Wow! The real deal, Something quite rare.

Quite a distintinctive looking clone. One of the nicest I have seen.
I agree.

The more I read about low-K, the more determined I am to source a local equivalent.

You can make K-lite by using a balanced fertilizer and increasing everything but the K!

Thanks for the correction. K-lite, I would love to try it, and will certainly investigate the possibility. I am just hoping that one of our agricultural co-operatives stock something similar. After reading all the positive reports, I am itching to try it. I have been unhappy with the fertilizer which I have been using. I have been getting a lot of flower deformity on plants which previously flowered well (especially the multis). I have attributed it to the presence of auxins and GH's in the formulation. Has anyone else ever suspected that they lead to flower deformity in paphs? Not sure if they do, but it is all that I can explain the change in flowering.

You can make K-lite by using a balanced fertilizer and increasing everything but the K!

Or you can use a small amount of common 30-10-10 and add calcium nitrate, magnesium nitrate, and a little ammonium nitrate. ;)

I have a friend, he grow a big pot of Paph vietnamense and this year he have 7 flower blooming.

What can you get?

On the way up to the farm this long weekend, I will stop at the farming co-op and see what I can get. I have been using a formulation designed for vegetable farming, but as I have said I am concerned with the included auxins. I will see if I can get a formulation lower in K and then try to adjust from there. Will let you know next week (I guess I will post under 'slipper culture'?)

Hi all.

This flower has been open now for three weeks and still looks fine. It's been mostly cloudy and cool weather. I'll let you know when it folds.

OK, y'all, the flower has now been open for 4 weeks and still looks great.

A second plant is now opening its first bud.

Alrighty then, at four and a half weeks its starting to fail.

The next plant has one that is nearly fully open. I think the petals are better on the new one...flatter...but not sure I like the lip coloration better. I'll post a photo of the new one soon.

Latest posts

Back