Paphiopedilum superbiens f. sanderae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum superbiens f. sanderae

23923293919_35eeec8fb0_o.jpg

Thank you.

Its impossible to be sure either way. I suspect it does have superbiens as a parent but doubt its 'pure'. Id keep it and re-flower.
If you know where it came from I'd contact them with a photo and politely, ask them what they thought.

Your flower and the ones you found on the Internet are definitely NOT pure species. Both have either lawrenceanum, or callosum, or both (= Maudiae), in them. This type of breeding (with incorrect labels), is typical of the HUGE number of plants that have come out of Holland as pot plants. The Dutch produce some awesome healthy plants; but they typically pass off hybrids as pure species. They "improve" upon the species by making crosses and then back crossing to one of the species, thus often producing plants with larger flowers, or enhanced shape (as the dorsal is in your flower). Your flower looks like superbiens from the pouch-down. However, it has an enhanced (larger, more flaring and wide), dorsal sepal, which comes from the introduction of callosum and/or lawrenceanum genes.

Another example is Paph. primulinum. The really big, bold and very beautiful, yellow primulinums that have come out of Holland as pot plants, labelled as pure primulinum, are actually hybrids involving true primulinum and the album form of other Cochlopetalums such as glaucophyllum. The result is a larger, more robust plant, one that has hybrid vigour and is easier to grow and bloom, with lager, more impressive flowers. These are all better qualities for a commercial grower to invest his time and money in producing. The flowers are really lovely to look at; but, I wish the producers would tell the truth about their lineage and not hide the fact that they are in fact, hybrids.

p.s. Eddie, would you please update your profile so that we can tell which country you are in? Thanks.

I saw a semilar bloom at our local Safeway last week. I saw one that has exceptionally flat dorsal with horizontal petals. Almost grab it but it was a NOID.
Nice flower though.

The flower looks great - true species or not that's the question.
The photos of Paph. superbiens f. sanderae pictured in the book of Olaf Gruss 'Genus Paphiopedilum - Albino Forms' are different - except one. The dorsal of this one on page 163 looks similar to you flower. But even books show mislabeled objekts from time to time.

Latest posts

Back