Paphiopedilum sukhakulii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

P.K.Hansen

Reaction score
I've seen a few pictures on FB lately, of linebred sukhakulii. In my opinion, they no longer resemble a sukhakulii, but are more like a hybrid. Wide, almost spotless petals.
Maybe only me, but I just don't care for them.
This is my sukhakulii #2, blooming right now. This is how I think they should look. Again, just my opinion, not necessarily yours :) , and I know there are much nicer ones out there.
Am I just getting old and grumpy?

Last edited:

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
Your P. sukhakulii is a very, very nice one....and that's important to me too, one can clearly see what it is.

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a few pictures on FB lately, of linebred sukhakulii. In my opinion, they no longer resemble a sukhakulii, but are more like a hybrid. Wide, almost spotless petals.
Maybe only me, but I just don't care for them.
This is my sukhakulii #2, blooming right now. This is how I think they should look. Again, just my opinion, not necessarily yours :) , and I know there are much nicer ones out there.
Am I just getting old and grumpy?
Could not agree with you more. LOVE your suk (not being cheeky or obscene, I simply cannot spell that species no matter how I try). A suk like yours is my next dream. May I as recommendations on where to get? Orchid Inn has nice ones I’ve seen and also has the kind you’re talking about (at least I think that’s where I’ve seen them)? I think I’ll have to purchase a plant that’s already in flower to make sure of what I’m getting. Let me say it again: yours is PERFECT in my sight. Any chance of a division someday? Thank you for posting it.

richgarrison

Reaction score
sam is in germany this week perhaps he has some with him that will make it to a show

Phaladdict

Orchids addict
Reaction score
Very nice suky and I agree 100% about new breeding they seems hybrids and often are...

Tony

Reaction score
I'm with you, I don't care for the "round and flat" breeding trends when they start to destroy the distinctive traits of a species, like flattening the dorsal of spicerianum. I have this sukhakulii blooming now that I'm quite happy with regardless of awardability.

Attachments

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
You mean the one with completely dark petals out of Japan? There are somethign similar going on with wardii. I personally like them. They look a bit chunky but they still look very much sukhakulii to me.

I like yours, a classic shape, but to be even pickier, I prefer the petals held perfectly horizontal without any drooping at all. ;)

I agree that species should look like what they should.
while at it, I also hate those spicerianum with round fat dorsal. I mean I like them as hybrids but not as a species. What is spicerianum without its distinctive dorsal? and how is that an "improvement"? C'mon!!

Latest posts