Paphiopedilum sukhakulii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.K.Hansen

Reaction score
I've seen a few pictures on FB lately, of linebred sukhakulii. In my opinion, they no longer resemble a sukhakulii, but are more like a hybrid. Wide, almost spotless petals.
Maybe only me, but I just don't care for them.
This is my sukhakulii #2, blooming right now. This is how I think they should look. Again, just my opinion, not necessarily yours :) , and I know there are much nicer ones out there.
Am I just getting old and grumpy?
49371846396_150566a2d5_c.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen a few pictures on FB lately, of linebred sukhakulii. In my opinion, they no longer resemble a sukhakulii, but are more like a hybrid. Wide, almost spotless petals.
Maybe only me, but I just don't care for them.
This is my sukhakulii #2, blooming right now. This is how I think they should look. Again, just my opinion, not necessarily yours :) , and I know there are much nicer ones out there.
Am I just getting old and grumpy?
49371846396_150566a2d5_c.jpg
Could not agree with you more. LOVE your suk (not being cheeky or obscene, I simply cannot spell that species no matter how I try). A suk like yours is my next dream. May I as recommendations on where to get? Orchid Inn has nice ones I’ve seen and also has the kind you’re talking about (at least I think that’s where I’ve seen them)? I think I’ll have to purchase a plant that’s already in flower to make sure of what I’m getting. Let me say it again: yours is PERFECT in my sight. Any chance of a division someday? Thank you for posting it.

Very nice suky and I agree 100% about new breeding they seems hybrids and often are...

I'm with you, I don't care for the "round and flat" breeding trends when they start to destroy the distinctive traits of a species, like flattening the dorsal of spicerianum. I have this sukhakulii blooming now that I'm quite happy with regardless of awardability.

Attachments

• received_2214806872146822.jpeg
    received_2214806872146822.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 8
You mean the one with completely dark petals out of Japan? There are somethign similar going on with wardii. I personally like them. They look a bit chunky but they still look very much sukhakulii to me.

I like yours, a classic shape, but to be even pickier, I prefer the petals held perfectly horizontal without any drooping at all. ;)

I agree that species should look like what they should.
while at it, I also hate those spicerianum with round fat dorsal. I mean I like them as hybrids but not as a species. What is spicerianum without its distinctive dorsal? and how is that an "improvement"? C'mon!!

Latest posts

Back