Paphiopedilum sukhakulii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kostas

Reaction score
Yep, definitely sukhakulii.
The leaves are very typical for type, too.

Are you growing them in hydoponic pot??
I thin that red thing on the corner of the pot is a water level indicator??
And is the rest of the pot filled with these little stone chips??
Just curious. :)

Hopefully this opens up nicely!

Good to know! Seems nice and the bud is big.

I am growing it in a self watering pot(wick system) filled with a mix of small size zeolite,lava and pumice. The department above the water reservoir is filled with the material you see. Paphiopedilum seem to like that, I have a P. callosum thailandense thriving in such a system for more than 4 years now. I like it because it cuts down on maintenance and I only need to water very infrequently while they have plenty of water available at all times.

Looking forward to grow this one big, to its full potential!

Thanks for the reply.
I have seen such system before and was very much interested in it to ease the watering job on my part. lol
4 years!!!
You should start a thread on that callosum here.
Do you just add more fertilize solution (or just water or alternate both I guess?) when the level goes below the red line, or do you have to flush the whole thing as in typical semi hydroponics??

Beautiful plant. I have a sukhakulii and a callosum ... but both are babies so it will be a long time before I get to see either of them bloom. :)

Thank you Justin!

Actually my mother grows that callosum, I gifted it to her in that system to make sure it does well for her. And it has done more than well those 4 years, flowering annually on multiple growths and lasting a good 2,5-3months! I posted a few photos of it last summer, on my other callosum's thread(the two pictures on that page):
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38682&page=2&highlight=callosum

I water in different ways depending on the plant, the season and my available time. For established Paphs, I prefer to water with dilute(1/4 to 1/2 the dosage) Rain-Mix or K-Lite fertilizer and fill the reservoir with it. Then wait till the indicator goes to the min, wait a bit more if it's a cool season, then flush the substrate with clean water and water with dilute fertilizer water.

If I don't have the time for that or the plant is not yet established, I water a bit with dilute fertilizer water when I see the substrate start to dry out while keeping the indicator on the low side(1/3 to half filled). Sometimes I will water with plain water if I have not flushed for a good while. They don't seem to mind either way.

Wish them to grow well for you Deb!

It's still opening!

I cracked open a window nearby(it's freezing outside...last night with below 0C temperatures thankfully) to let some fresh air in and raise humidity a bit, and the flower opened up way faster than it had been doing till then. The picture you see is just a few hours from my last one, both taken just prior to each of my posts

What is the nat. spread of the flower? The petals are amazing, indeed, and the colour of the pouch is very good, too.

Latest posts

Back