Paphiopedilum hookerae var. volonteanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
This is from Ooi Leng Sun.

The flower looks a bit weird; maybe the petals are not fully stretched out? The flower seems to be small (NS of around 5cm). Does anyone has one from Ooi Leng Sun? Or is it due to out-of-season bloom? This plant was extending 2 shoots in the late spring. Around July, the first bud was almost opening, but the bud went too close to the LED, and it got aborted (COB LED, so it became too warm) while I was on vacation. The other bud stopped extending around that time, too, since I cut down the day length to a couple hours and didn't water for 10 days. The extension resumed at the end of the summer, and opened out of season. Looking at the photos in Braem's ebook, this species shows quite a bit of variations. But I'm guessing that this flower didn't develop correctly due to the disruption. What do you think?

Paphiopedilum hookerae var. volonteanum on Flickr

Paphiopedilum hookerae var. volonteanum on Flickr

Paphiopedilum hookerae var. volonteanum by Naoki Takebayashi, on Flickr

Paphiopedilum hookerae var. volonteanum (staminode) on Flickr

Paphiopedilum hookerae var. volonteanum (staminode) on Flickr

Paphiopedilum hookerae var. volonteanum (plant) on Flickr

I like it very much. Alien, but beautiful. The flower on my hookerae was about 5cm as well.

Small flower but very nice. Obviously this is the normal size of the flower because the plant is well grown and healthy. Furthermore very good photos which show a lot of details - congrats.

Oz, the color is about right. But I did use back-light (to emphasize the hairs) for the first 2 photos, so it is adding a bit more dramatic color. It does look like these with the light going through the green part of the petals, but under the front light, the color is darker (like the rear-view and whole plant). It has a small flower, but the color seems to be quite intense.

It's one of them extremely weird and strange bloom, yet so lovely and good colours. Congrats

Latest posts

Back