paphiopedilum philippinense laevigatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neno747

Hello, do you

2luz4eu.jpg

paphiopedilum philippinense laevigatum or philippinense?

thanks

My guess is roebelinii. Can you post the leaves of the plant? I would love to see it.

What is the petal length? They would need to be at least 18/19cm to start considering roebelinii. Also the pouch looks rather rounded to square in this pic rather than pointy (also more typical of robelinii).

We had a big debate a ways back on trying to ID discreet varieties of philippinense from photos, but without knowing the origin of the plant or plants parents its all just a guess for the most part.

That would constitute a roebellinii to me. The angle at which the petals sit looks like what I typically see as being roebellinii. The petals on philippinense spread further out from the bloom itself, and they also are usually less curled.

That is a very nice flower.

I am one of those who prefer to use only the accepted taxonomic name for this, and it is Paph philippinense, with no further sub-varietal designation. BUT as Rick, Rick and I agreed to at the end of our last go around on this ;) there is a horticultural shorthand for the way this flower looks, and it does fit the appearance of the horticultural form roebellinii. So for science call it Paph philippinense with no added on variety, for horticulture call it Paph roebellinii or any of the compound name variations of this.

Hi Neno, It looks like a vigorous plant. The flower also is very nice and it looks to me that it has a large dorsal. Very nice characteristic along with the twisting petals. I adore that species and you are lucky to have it. Good luck and I hope for many blooms on this plant. Take care.

That looks like a 12/13 cm petal lenth which would be normal for a standard phili, but way to short for robelinii (regardless of petal stance and twisting).

If those are actually inches, then the petals are 33 cm long and a world record flower.

Does the "palawan" variety fit the bill? i.e. looking like a miniture roebelinii?

It has outrageous colors to this clone regardless of the Hort. variety!

What are the parents? (clonel names)

Latest posts

Back