Paphiopedilum niveum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murcielago

Reaction score
Paphiopedilumniveum4.jpg

That is a very nice one. There is something different about it. Maybe its because it seems alost a clear white, like you can almost see through the dorsal. I know the alba form has a green dot like that on the staminode but does normal niveum usually have this also? I can't remember, maybe someone else knows.

Thank you! I like it very much too. This niveum is scented; smells rather similar to hangianum but less overpowering.

"Most" niveums have yellow on the staminode and "most" thaianums have green veins. But that's not to say the flip can't happen.

Thats what I was saying, there is something different about this one but I could not fivure it out. The green on the staminode is different than I am used to seeing. I don't remember niveum ever having a fragrance. I am curious about this one.

Some Brachys have a very subtle odeur. Concolor smells like cheese and niveum brings the very special perfume of the head of a new born baby to my mind ...

I always think the newborn baby head smells kinda like potato chips! I'll go smell the niveum in my greenhouse right away! It's in its last day.

I don't see the green in the stami that others are seeing... I'll check my color calibration, and each of us should, probably. It looks a correct yellow to me.

I always think the newborn baby head smells kinda like potato chips! I'll go smell the niveum in my greenhouse right away! It's in its last day.

I don't see the green in the stami that others are seeing... I'll check my color calibration, and each of us should, probably. It looks a correct yellow to me.
I don't see any green in this photo either, Chris.

Wow! I had never noticed any fragrance in a brachy, but then again, the only paphs I have tried to sniff were parvi's. So I went running downstairs to sniff the niveum I have in bloom....and, yes, it does have a very, very faint fragrance...partly baby head, but my wife noticed, and i'll agree, a licorice component also. Never would have thought to even look (sniff?) for it. Can't compare it to emersonii or hangianum, which have powerful fragrances, but the fragrance is definitely there.

I like the imagination to see you all sniff your niveum and thinking about baby heads ... :wink:

Yup leucochilum can smell like rancid peanut butter to me. Concolor appears to smell rather similar but much fainter. Bellatulum can have a very faint grassy odour. This is the most fragrant niveum I have though. The rare thaianums that I have seen (and sniffed) in person do not appear to be scented; but that is not to say a scented clone won't pop out in the future. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Yup leucochilum can smell like rancid peanut butter to me. Concolor appears to smell rather similar but much fainter. Bellatulum can have a very faint grassy odour. This is the most fragrant niveum I have though. The rare thaianums that I have seen (and sniffed) in person do not appear to be scented; but that is not to say a scented clone won't pop out in the future. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Odd as this conversation is, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who notices that concolor smells like cheese and, in my opinion, very much like Bulbophyllum frostii. When I mentioned this observation in the past people at orchid shows thought that I was a few bricks shy of a load. My niveum does not smell and I have never noticed that my bellatulum does either. In the future, I will pay more attention to this.

Latest posts

Back