Paphiopedilum Memoria Larry Heuer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Memoria Larry Heuer

Paphiopedilum malipoense x emersonii

I purchased this from Piping Rock many years ago. It's a slow grower for sure, but at least it bloomed again! The growth and bloom this time are a tad smaller than the original growth had, so I'm thinking it's getting a bit too much light and working to get it into shadier conditions. The flowers approach a 5.5 in (14 cm) in natural spread and the spike is a tad on the weak side so it does require staking. The flowers are faintly scented with the typical dry floral scent with a lightly musky presence that I tend to associate with P. malipoense, so I'm not sure P. emersonii influences the fragrance that much.

I like clones with bit more tesselation in the petals and I'd love if there were more countrast between lip and petal color. However, I still think this is a nice flower. There are cute little speckles at the base of the petals and of course the pouch has that wonderful speckling that shows through the flower tissue. And one thing is for sure, the flower makes it abundantly clear that this is the real deal and not one of those Shun-fa Golden being passed off as Memoria Larry Heuer.

Album https://imgur.com/a/QZzsObR

Q4ScMVrl.jpg

zBZECKol.jpg

w6kLXOZl.jpg

Ked8jyel.jpg

sTXQ0OVl.jpg

Well, booth parents are slow, especially emersonii.
There are exceptions and I saw a post from earlier this year when someone posted an emersonii in bloom on just 4 years out of flask.

My Mem. Larry Heuer is very slow.
On it's first growth, the sheath sat low for many months to only dry up and die eventually. This happens to every single emersonii primary hybrids I have.
On its second growth, the spike grew without hesitation and bloomed with a nicely again large flower. That was early 2017.
It is still working on its growth for nearly 15 months and it has three leaves.
So, yeah. Oh, and each new growth is slightly larger than the older one. :(

I'm thinking of selling it.

I have another one which I hope is a near blooming size since I have had it for a long time and it's not increasing in size and quit compact.
Then, I have a couple of Todd Hasegawa.
So I'm thinking of chucking Franz Glanz as well. Sick of them doing nothing!!
They were vigorous when younger throwing multiple shoots. Oh, well..

Well, booth parents are slow, especially emersonii.
There are exceptions and I saw a post from earlier this year when someone posted an emersonii in bloom on just 4 years out of flask.

My Mem. Larry Heuer is very slow.
On it's first growth, the sheath sat low for many months to only dry up and die eventually. This happens to every single emersonii primary hybrids I have.
On its second growth, the spike grew without hesitation and bloomed with a nicely again large flower. That was early 2017.
It is still working on its growth for nearly 15 months and it has three leaves.
So, yeah. Oh, and each new growth is slightly larger than the older one. :(

I'm thinking of selling it.

I have another one which I hope is a near blooming size since I have had it for a long time and it's not increasing in size and quit compact.
Then, I have a couple of Todd Hasegawa.
So I'm thinking of chucking Franz Glanz as well. Sick of them doing nothing!!
They were vigorous when younger throwing multiple shoots. Oh, well..

All my fast growing MLHs have turned out to be those SFGs that folks mislabeled to get into the country back when all/most things hang were blocked from import.

I'll be glad to see pics of your P. Todd Hasegawas in bloom some day. I know one of those P. Norito Hasegawas you sent me last year is already spiking up, so hopefully those Todd Hasegawas will get a bit of that vigor.

P. Franz Glanz seems to be fairly slow growing for me even when young, but I've also noticed a pretty wide disparity in terms of vigor between clones (even within the same batch). It's a hybrid that I like more out of interest than for performance / appearance, I suppose. These days there are much better options in the "large yellow flowered, compact growing parvi" genre of Paphs, like P. China Moon, so it's one that may be susceptible to falling into obscurity.

Latest posts

Back