paphiopedilum lowii miniature

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the looks of the plant. it is probably a collected plant.... wait a few more flowering to see if it will be mini still...

I bought a couple of (at the time) unidentified Paph clumps a few years ago. On flowering I discovered they were dianthums.

The first to flower had one flower per spike but subsequent flowering have produced two flowers per spike. The reason I didn't recognise the plants as dianthum was because the leaves grow bolt upright and are only 10cm long. Initially I thought the plants were stunted due to poor conditions but all subsequent growths are the same length and angle.

So I guess the plant being discussed in this thread could be a "pygmy" but I'd wait to see how the plant develops.

Mick

Very interesting. I have seen the same thing with a Phragmipedium longifolium one year ago. Normally a massive plant but in that case not bigger than this lowii.

I bought a couple of (at the time) unidentified Paph clumps a few years ago. On flowering I discovered they were dianthums.

The first to flower had one flower per spike but subsequent flowering have produced two flowers per spike. The reason I didn't recognise the plants as dianthum was because the leaves grow bolt upright and are only 10cm long. Initially I thought the plants were stunted due to poor conditions but all subsequent growths are the same length and angle.

So I guess the plant being discussed in this thread could be a "pygmy" but I'd wait to see how the plant develops.

I asked my wife to take some pics of the mini dianthums. The leaves on the other clone grow vertical.

For reference the pots these divisions are growing in are 70mm deep. The front division is a previously bloomed growth and new growth.

Back