paphiopedilum Ho Chi Minh

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popow in 6/28/2002

Mr. Popow is one of the most friendly & warm person whom I had a chance to meet & talk with.
I did mentioned that the flower's name is like someone cutting open our wounds many "a second time".
He made a lot of vietnamese friends inside the country, and he liked the vietnamese peoples. So he thought that he honor them with the naming.
However most of the peoples he knew are the ones who lived in Vietnam under the communist regime.
Imagine that Hitler had won, towns will be named after him, statues of him will be everywhere, there would be many plaques & billboards in Germany to annouce how many crimes the Allied had commited in Europe. History would be white washed & totally rewritten to serve the winner, & reinforce a lie. After a generation of continuous propaganda, the germans will come to worship & love Hitler.
For years, the refugees have working their asses off to send billions of dollars home to save their friends & families from starvation right after the war (unfortunately, by doing that, we keep the communist regime in power)
This is the latest, the most base & inhumane, ruthless proof from that treacherous government:

http://boatpeople75.tripod.com/VC_destroyed_Boat_People_Memorial.html
http://boatpeople75.tripod.com/Boat_People_plaque_torn_down.html

Where on that plaque, did the refugees say anything about the communist crap?
Must they destroy our memories, our sorrows as well to satistfy their thirst?
Imagine, Germany government requests every country in the world to destroy Jewish holocaust memorials.

But Hien, how would people raised successfully in 'North' Vietnam under communism feel? Every side has its supporters, Cousin Ho included.

But Hien, how would people raised successfully in 'North' Vietnam under communism feel? Every side has its supporters, Cousin Ho included.

There are peoples who support something after analyzing, dissecting issues & facts, then come to their own conclusions, and there are peoples who support something because others tell them so..& so.
Of course, most peoples never question authorities. The term "successfully" only applies to children of party's members.
I don't know wether the northerners have ever dare to say something about their government, organize demonstrations,opposite parties etc..and if you get special treatment because you belong to the Party, you will protect it.
On a Television interview recently, I heard a whole bunch of young vietnameses saying they want to join the party because one can get better jobs (do the republican or democratic parties dare to suggest such a thing here).
But I know that southerners overthrow governments all the times, demonstrate almost daily, saying bad things about presidents, generals in the open. May be that is why the south lose, "not enough control of the minds of the population"

Last edited:
Hien,
Sorry, you still hurt by this. I have my way dealing with this. I don't use hcm name when I don't need to. I feel lucky I can do that without of Vietnamese gov
BD

Hien,
Sorry, you still hurt by this. I have my way dealing with this. I don't use hcm name when I don't need to. I feel lucky I can do that without of Vietnamese gov
BD

I think with the demand for the destroying of the plaque, they forget how to be compassionate human beings. It shows the rigidity & stupidity of the leadership. It shows disrespect to the deaths as well as the host country.
Instead of destroying, had the vietnamese's government told their ambassador to light a candle or some incense sticks at the plaque, it would make a big step in healing & bringing the vietnameses together.

ho3bildgrenderndf9.jpg

ho4bildgrendernzw1.jpg

Hien, I am totally on your side with the name of this Hybrid. I have always wondered the same...

Mr. Popow is one of the most friendly & warm person whom...
now, as per this point.... well.... my experience is a bit different... and without intentions to offend anybody, but one of my best friends raised once a question regarding the price of a plant increased from one day to the other from 35 to 50€ (the description of the plant stayed the same, including the size in centimeter), and the only reply he received was an insult!... :mad: since then, Mr. Popow's website has been banned from our list of vendors... (even if I have to admit, he has great plants!)

Hien, I am totally on your side with the name of this Hybrid. I have always wondered the same...

now, as per this point.... well.... my experience is a bit different... and without intentions to offend anybody, but one of my best friends raised once a question regarding the price of a plant increased from one day to the other from 35 to 50€ (the description of the plant stayed the same, including the size in centimeter), and the only reply he received was an insult!... :mad: since then, Mr. Popow's website has been banned from our list of vendors... (even if I have to admit, he has great plants!)

Hello Kavanaru,
It costs 15 euros :sob:

Hi Hakone, the one I was talking about is still 50€ for a seedling... what could be a fair price according to the supposed good qquality of the plant, what we think is not acceptable is the increase of almost 100% in the price, and the very unfriendly reply when inquired...

I think the name should be changed or at the least the plant be described by the cross instead. Understanding that the use of certain names for plants or geographical references can cause offense is something we will have recognize and change in the future.
I also grow Clivias and I've recently changed my tags because they described the plants as a K***** Lily which is offensive to many. Living as I do in the isolated north of Canada I had no idea I was perpetuating a racial slur. Out of respect for the native South Africans I've stopped refering to my plants using the 'old' term.
I know that the pendulum of political correctness can sometimes swing too far but at least in this case I would hate to think that by merely presenting a beautiful flower to share with fellow forum members that I was offending anyone. I do not have vietmamense x delenatii but if I do aquire one I will only present that information on the tag.
Sorry for the rant, nice flower Hakone.

Shaun

Back