paphiopedilum concolor album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is really interesting to read the story above.
Just I am returned from Japan, Cambodia and Thailand and have made many pictures on the way.
So I made also the following pictures of a plant in Nagoya during the meeting of the Paphiopedilum Society
Perhaps Xavier knows also a story about.

It was named as Paph. concolor forma alba, but is a forma sulphurinum

Paphiopedilumconcoloralbab2011-07a.jpg

Paphiopedilumconcoloralbab2011-07b.jpg

sulphurinum is the older name. I do't like the forma alba, because some Paph. concolor start with a near white flower and change the color then to a light yellow and then to a true yellow.

Here another plant which was shown as Paph. concolor forma album

Paphiopedilumconcoloralbaa2011-07d.jpg

Best greetings

OLaf

Dr Braem's explanation below:

a) alba resp. album means white, and in my opinion should only be used for plants with PURE WHITE flowers
b) sulphurinum ... is yellow ... and if you take it correctly, should only be used for sulphur-yellow flowers
c) flavum ... is also yellow
d) immamculatum ... is generally used for flowers without spots
etc. etc.

Regards, Mick
Thanks, Mick.

This makes sense to me. Except that there are so many Paphs. that are called album that are green or yellow. I never understood that!

That's the story about the pictured plants I was talking about... :p Not three clumps, but two is fair enough.

you said : two clumps

Tinh said : three clumps

my friend said : five clumps

Who´s the bald truth ?

total : 2 + 3 + 5 = 10 :clap:

It is really interesting to read the story above.
Just I am returned from Japan, Cambodia and Thailand and have made many pictures on the way.
So I made also the following pictures of a plant in Nagoya during the meeting of the Paphiopedilum Society
Perhaps Xavier knows also a story about.

That's the 'Yen' AM/RHT, same picture as Hakone, and it got some problems during transportation apparently :D

I am pretty sure it is one of the plants that I was talking about too, but resold :evil:

Yen did not sell so many divisions of his concolor, you can ask him and the plant and flowers are quite unique to say the least. There are 1-2 in Thailand apart from him (but cannot be divided yet and still there), one I got, one in Taiwan ( not resold), one in Japan ( not that plant, sold to Hanajima Orchids some years ago, and according to Makoto dead), and two stolen plants.

The last picture, I would tend to think that it's an hybrid, but who knows...

you said : two clumps

my friend said : five clumps

Who´s the bald truth ?

total : 2 + 3 + 5 = 10 :clap:

I was involved in this trade, so I know the truth, that's it. Yen came one morning to Hans Hermans house, when our friend from Germany was there too. He wanted those two clumps badly, but did not have enough cash with him, as he was taking a flight few hours later. Hans Hermans made a deposit, and bought those two clumps from Yen, about 5 growths+ each. The total price was 150.000THB for both.

It was all that Yen had at that time of his awarded concolor, except his motherplant, that was about 3 growths. Hans Hermans sent these plants to his nursery in Phrao, where I saw them a few months later again. Then he went to the hospital, his nursery has been, whatever you can call it, stolen, taken over, appropriated, annexed by K... those two concolor album disappeared at that time. And they reappeared in Germany.

When Hans Hermans died, this 'friend from Germany' came with K to see if he could enter his (new) nursery and bargain plants, few months ago.

Yen made very few divisions, and what he did not sell directly are those two stolen clumps, period.

That's the 'Yen' AM/RHT, same picture as Hakone, and it got some problems during transportation apparently :D

I am pretty sure it is one of the plants that I was talking about too, but resold :evil:

Yen did not sell so many divisions of his concolor, you can ask him and the plant and flowers are quite unique to say the least. There are 1-2 in Thailand apart from him (but cannot be divided yet and still there), one I got, one in Taiwan ( not resold), one in Japan ( not that plant, sold to Hanajima Orchids some years ago, and according to Makoto dead), and two stolen plants.

you need a new 3 D glasses , that is Hanajima´s plant :D

Me of course. I was at Hans house with our german friend, then Yen came, Hans Hermans paid for him the deposit for the two clumps, B could not take them back with him to Germany. So Hans Hermans paid them in full two days later, they went to Hans nursery for the next time, when they could be sent to Germany. Hans Hermans went to the hospital, the nursery had been taken over. Those two concolor were stolen at that time. Then they reappeared in Germany...

again repetition

@Tinh

" They sold some extremely rare albinos to one nursery too, paphiopedilum concolor album -Yen AM/RHT three clumps from Yen that Hans Hermans bought You can ask Yen. Paphiopedilum esquirolei album, several clumps. "

you can ask him .

Dear Xavier,
i won this yellow concolor in an auction in Nagoya beside some other plants.
The plant came from a greenhouse in Japan and not from a greenhouse in Thailand.

Best greetings

Olaf

Dear Xavier,
The plant came from a greenhouse in Japan and not from a greenhouse in Thailand.

Best greetings

Olaf

Dear Olaf,

has these greenhouse in Japan a name , perhaps Xavier wants to know.

Dear Hakonen,
I don't know the name of the person who brought the plants for the auction,
I know only that it was not the greenhouse of Hanajima, it comes from a small nursery. But I could ask for.
For your information, I payed a price for, which was not so high like the typical prices from Thailand or Japan.

About the names.
You must accept that the official names were taken by the describer, if they were described as forma sanderae, sandowiae, bohlmannianum or album, albidum, flavum, viride, alboviride, immaculatum and so on.

In official publications but also in the exhibitions and at the judging these names should be used. They are so official like the species and the genus-name, if you like it or not.

Best greetings

Olaf

Dear Olaf,

thank you very much , the plants costs in japan 11036,48 Yen.

you need a new 3 D glasses , that is Hanajima´s plant :D

Thanks, but that plant died years ago.

again repetition

@Tinh

" They sold some extremely rare albinos to one nursery too, paphiopedilum concolor album -Yen AM/RHT three clumps from Yen that Hans Hermans bought You can ask Yen. Paphiopedilum esquirolei album, several clumps. "

you can ask him .

Already asked Yen, you should do the same and not do the show off...

Dear Xavier,

Best greetings

Olaf

That's interesting, because that is definitely the Yen AM/RHT cultivar. Maybe you have been lucky :D or the story is otherwise :evil:

I ll not post anymore about that, but there is a 'slight doubt' around those two Yen clumps at that time. :confused: :confused: but knowing some interconnections, everything is possible as a public explanation...

Xavier , you said : two clumps

Was said Yen now ?. 2 ½ clumps .:evil:

I was involved in this trade, so I know the truth, that's it. Yen came one morning to Hans Hermans house, when our friend from Germany was there too. He wanted those two clumps badly, but did not have enough cash with him, as he was taking a flight few hours later. Hans Hermans made a deposit, and bought those two clumps from Yen, about 5 growths+ each. The total price was 150.000THB for both.

It was all that Yen had at that time of his awarded concolor, except his motherplant, that was about 3 growths. Hans Hermans sent these plants to his nursery in Phrao, where I saw them a few months later again. Then he went to the hospital, his nursery has been, whatever you can call it, stolen, taken over, appropriated, annexed by K... those two concolor album disappeared at that time. And they reappeared in Germany.

When Hans Hermans died, this 'friend from Germany' came with K to see if he could enter his (new) nursery and bargain plants, few months ago.

Yen made very few divisions, and what he did not sell directly are those two stolen clumps, period.

This is imformation from another side.......

2 clamps of Paph.concolor album from Yen was in my nursery.It's True.One of them was taking back with more than 100 Paphs. by Xavier and Marcus in my shop in Chiang Mai,I remember it's raining day >>> (detail in e-mail from Xavier to Marcus on Feb. 14,2007 )........... another one is dead after pollination by Hans thai staff,If you want to know about Paph. concolor album 'Yen' must ask Xavier who've got the plant in 2007.............

Who is Marcus ?. In Thailand it rained off and on all day , for a six month .

This is imformation from another side.......

2 clamps of Paph.concolor album from Yen was in my nursery.It's True.One of them was taking back with more than 100 Paphs. by Xavier and Marcus in my shop in Chiang Mai,I remember it's raining day >>> (detail in e-mail from Xavier to Marcus on Feb. 14,2007 )........... another one is dead after pollination by Hans thai staff,If you want to know about Paph. concolor album 'Yen' must ask Xavier who've got the plant in 2007.............

Funny Katai, I spared you and did not name you before, but anyway. You kept the plants at that time... There was only a single growth and start division left when I visited you. Marcus or me never took back that plant anyway, I told even you to keep that division, and I did not take a lot of plants back that belonged to me, as you remember. I was kind and stupid. Afterwards, people started to speak, where some plants really went. Anyway too, most of the people in that story were multiple sided, so the truth will never been known for sure.

I found some of my plants on Jatujak at that time, discussed with the seller, who told me his truth, they were coming from you. Do not think too that some of your friends or customers are not in contact with me, and do not discuss with me. Now I do not trust anyone over there, I know how it works, a worker can steal the plants at either place, and make false claims, then it can spread. In Thailand it is incredibly hard to know the truth about something anyway. There is one truth, and the opposite that is another truth...

Again anyway, there are plenty of plants from Hans Hermans newer nursery that surge everywhere, I have seen some last week again, that's life, and you are not involved in that at all, neither am I. There is nothing to say, nothing to do about that, except that some people confuse business and thievery. Let the things rest in peace from that time.

Just not to expand for the personal story, but Marcus was Hans Hermans lawyer and friend. He has a large office in Bangkok. He and me at that time tried to clear cut the things, so everyone would be fair. Push all the sides so the situation (from Australian ordered plants, to disappeared plants, to...)Unfortunately a lot of things were in fact, unknown to him and me, wrong on all sides. Unknown to him and me as well, no one wanted to get a clear situation.

Anyway, no need to discuss, I know how the things happened (by the way Katai, I am Xavier, so I know exactly what happened in detail...), it's a crab nest.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back