paphiopedilum concolor album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not from a friend in Kunming, that's a plant from Thailand that went to Germany some years ago (long story). It is concolor album 'Yen' AM/RHT (Royal Horticultural Society of Thailand). I bought last year a division of that one too :D

So what is the difference between album & sulphurinum?

Dr Braem's explanation below:

a) alba resp. album means white, and in my opinion should only be used for plants with PURE WHITE flowers
b) sulphurinum ... is yellow ... and if you take it correctly, should only be used for sulphur-yellow flowers
c) flavum ... is also yellow
d) immamculatum ... is generally used for flowers without spots
etc. etc.

Regards, Mick

Dr Braem's explanation below:

a) alba resp. album means white, and in my opinion should only be used for plants with PURE WHITE flowers
b) sulphurinum ... is yellow ... and if you take it correctly, should only be used for sulphur-yellow flowers
c) flavum ... is also yellow
d) immamculatum ... is generally used for flowers without spots
etc. etc.

Regards, Mick

That's the theory, and should actually be followed when a description is published. However, this is not followed by everybody doing a description of a new variety (regardless of whether taxonomist or not! - many many examples of this). E.g., if I discover a Phrag. bessea with white flowers, and described before anybody else (correctly, according to "the code") as var. coloripunctata, because I had taken LSD the day I saw the flowers, then it is absolutely valid, and there is no way that calling it Phrag bessea var album would be "a valid name".

What I would be interested in is to know what the valid description of concolor var album and concolor var sulphurinum actually say.

That's the theory, and should actually be followed when a description is published. However, this is not followed by everybody doing a description of a new variety (regardless of whether taxonomist or not! - many many examples of this). E.g., if I discover a Phrag. bessea with white flowers, and described before anybody else (correctly, according to "the code") as var. coloripunctata, because I had taken LSD the day I saw the flowers, then it is absolutely valid, and there is no way that calling it Phrag bessea var album would be "a valid name".

What I would be interested in is to know what the valid description of concolor var album and concolor var sulphurinum actually say.

Yes I agree but as both forms have been published, its seems its a matter of deciding if the bloom is yellow or white.

Olaf added the following:

For the white form
Paphiopedilum concolor (Bateman)Pfitzer forma album (Braem)Braem

For the yellow form
Paphiopedilum concolor (Bateman)Pfitzer forma suphurinum (Rchb.f.)Gruss

Regards, Mick

What for leaves form has Paphiopedilum concolor (Bateman)Pfitzer forma album (Braem)Braem ?

What for leaves form has Paphiopedilum concolor (Bateman)Pfitzer forma suphurinum (Rchb.f.)Gruss ?

Yes I agree but as both forms have been published, its seems its a matter of deciding if the bloom is yellow or white.

Olaf added the following:

For the white form
Paphiopedilum concolor (Bateman)Pfitzer forma album (Braem)Braem

For the yellow form
Paphiopedilum concolor (Bateman)Pfitzer forma suphurinum (Rchb.f.)Gruss

Regards, Mick

Thanks, Mick! That was my question, as I do not know the descriptions... I know that both forms has been described, but I have never check for the details...

Not from a friend in Kunming, that's a plant from Thailand that went to Germany some years ago (long story). It is concolor album 'Yen' AM/RHT (Royal Horticultural Society of Thailand). I bought last year a division of that one too :D

I am of the same opinion as Roth.
It is 'Yen' AM/RHT.

Paphiopedilum concolor (var. hennisianum?) fma. sulphurinum "Yen AM/RHT"

concoloralba.jpg

Gunny posted this pic of "Yen" some time ago. It does look like the clone that Hakone posted.

Regards, Mick

Hakone, I don't know why you post pictures from a friend in Kunming, or whatever, all your photos so far came from only one nursery. The same thing you should remember about Guido, he was one of the best friends of that plant's owner (and actually saved his life once but I ll never say how).

By the way, that plant on that photo has a very dirty story behind, I'll not expand in public, but it is clearly 'stolen goods' legally. Let's say someone bought it (another best friend), paid in full (not me, I bought mine from Yen directly), it disappeared from his nursery, thanks to one of his workers, and reappeared later in Germany at his best friend place. Orchids are one thing, I can understand that there are some fanatic collectors, I am one of them, but there are ethic limits. Best friends or gratefulness are things not to be tampered with.

I respect that German nurseryman for what he is, one of the best collectors of orchids, and a really good grower, he can look very kind too, and be at some point, BUT sometimes he breaks the limits to get more plants. Never stole from your 30 years old friends, no matter what is the matter, and second, when your friend, sponsor, and support dies (a few months ago in Thailand), don't try to go instant to his nursery to buy quickly plants and make good deals. That's basic politeness rules. I will not speak anymore about that subject here.

Xavier,

I get photos from friend . I don´t care how the photos are made. Some photos are actually photos of French Nursery . Some tales are just a lie. Some plants come from USA .

Who is Yen ?

There must be a sad story.
There were similar stories in Thailand as well.

Latest posts

Back