Paphiopedilum coccineum Blooms

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coccineum is an accepted valid species as of today (based on the latest Kew information). The AOS has since recognized it with a CHM in both 2017 and 2018.

Lockianum is not accepted as barbigerum or coccineum but rather as vejvarutianum (as of today).

Hope that clears everything lol.
Well that's just excellent... I have a vejvarutianum about to bloom. I've been waiting for a few years. I bought two from Andy's... bloomed one right away and selfed it. The flower was ordinary so I gave it to a friend. The two plants were identical in the beginning but the one I kept has developed a lot of red at the base of the leaves.

Looks like the leaves and markings of my sulivongii, which incidentally is in bud. I wonder if both are similar and misidentified as well. Guess we can compare when they come into bloom.

Very nice type of coccineum, well grown healthy plant...Attached is photos of one coccineum I used to have, a very nicely colored clone, but unfortunately it died of spider mite attack along with mealy bugs...R.I.P
A sad tale of a very coccineum (red) flower! My most heartfelt commiserations!

Lockianum is not accepted as barbigerum or coccineum but rather as vejvarutianum (as of today).
Hope that clears everything lol.

Well, Leslie, now you make the confussion total: P. barbigerum var. lockianum was described by Averyanov, Cribb, et al. as endemic to Vietnam (maybe also the South West of China, will have to look that up, when at home and with "Slipperorchids of Vietnam" at hand). P. Vejvarutianum is found in SW China and Thailand?

I bought my Vejvarutianum from a local (as in Denmark) orchid provider, who herself is of thai origin, and acquainted with mr. Vejvarut. Having seen the plant in flower once, I would say, that it clearly differs from lockianum/barbigerum - hopefully I wil one day be able to present a photo to take the discussion further.

Do you have a source for the proposition, that "Lockianum is not accepted as barbigerum or coccineum but rather as vejvarutianum (as of today)"? That would be an interesting read!

Kind regards,
Jens

Last edited:
There is really no confusion with the most updated information on the WCSP website from Kew, which the world’s taxonomists and judges follow:

09A16F88-D6AE-47DD-9A0E-6764AA23F75F.png

All other information and literature (books, reviews, opinions, textbooks, articles, etc) are for reference only. Unless Kew changes the name in future, the experts follow this for now.

Mine are much bigger than any barbigerum I've ever seen.
Indeed there are size differences for sure in regards to floral and vegetative parts, but there are some large barbigerum plants and flowers too.

The vejvarutianums do have more distinct elongated stems reminiscent of sulivongii, with densely purple dots. For this reason, sulivongii IMO also is part of the barbigerum complex, perhaps a subgroup.

There is really no confusion with the most updated information on the WCSP website from Kew, which the world’s taxonomists and judges follow:
....................All other information and literature (books, reviews, opinions, textbooks, articles, etc) are for reference only. Unless Kew changes the name in future, the experts follow this for now.

O.K. Leslie, so I will delete this link The Plant List from my favourites. 😭

Last edited:
Guru, do not delete as it is still a good source of information. Just know that WCSP from Kew has the final say in the legal current acceptable name (though there might not always be agreeable to all, even experts, and may change over time with new evidence 🤫).

Here’s my sulivongii in bud. Note the similarity of the intense dark purple spotting on the stem, similar to the vejvarutianum.

CD76586F-0502-44CE-B218-1A4F24DCE48D.jpeg

Interestingly sulivongii has been moved by WCSP to a variety of gratrixianum (from previously barbigerum!). Great way to confuse more people lol. See below.

A42295D5-804E-4711-9A95-77F7626F3309.png

Latest posts

Back