Paphiopedilum charlesworthii fma. album ‘White Knight’ x ‘First Class’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! I love the wonderful colour combination and a vigorous plant, too. How do you get those innumerable new growths?

Hi Kate, well done to grow such a vigorous looking plant. How long have you had it?

You mentioned it’s easy. What cultural conditions do you provide it?

Could you measure the width of the dorsal sepal in cm? I’m curious as it looks big.

Hi Kate, well done to grow such a vigorous looking plant. How long have you had it?

You mentioned it’s easy. What cultural conditions do you provide it?

Could you measure the width of the dorsal sepal in cm? I’m curious as it looks big.
Hi Leslie, It’s a decent, but not exceptional, size for the sandowae (album) form of charlesworthii. The dorsal is 5.7 cm wide and 5.0 vertically. Overall, the natural spread of the flower is 8.0 wide. If I could improve it even slightly next go around, I would consider taking it in for judging.
I’ve had it since March of 2019, a seedling from Orchid Inn. It’s been growing in sphagnum in a 3” clay pot since then. It’s got a nice bunch of roots, but it is ready for repotting. It has been growing covered (not exposed to rain) in a fairly bright area, but in a tray next to taller plants, and subject to early morning and late afternoon shade. It gets watered quite a bit, with RO water. Fertilizer goal (lol) is MSU with a bit of S.T.E.M., weakly, weekly.
I kind of forgot it was there, but then the flower popped up. (Hence, my deduction that it was easy.) I like that it has a good, strong stem because timely staking is not my strong suit.
Best, Kate

Wonderful that it found its niche right where it loves. Very respectable size and shape for first bloom. Will get larger as plant matures. Might be a big guy! And within 1-2 years a nice specimen. Definitely an award contender.

I have a multigrowth (7 plus change) charliebum still waiting it’s time to shine. I hope it’s first blooms will be as nice as yours! I might call him ‘Goliath’ for the sheer plant size. It’s in a 4 inch square air cone pot.

56E55C10-5C06-43DB-AD38-1435F5F699A1.jpeg

Wonderful that it found its niche right where it loves. Very respectable size and shape for first bloom. Will get larger as plant matures. Might be a big guy! And within 1-2 years a nice specimen. Definitely an award contender.

I have a multigrowth (7 plus change) charliebum still waiting it’s time to shine. I hope it’s first blooms will be as nice as yours! I might call him ‘Goliath’ for the sheer plant size. It’s in a 4 inch square air cone pot.

View attachment 23187
Wow - that’s a big one and super-healthy looking! I will patiently await the crowning glory (like all Paph growers and admirers must).

Congrats Kate on a beautiful flower and plant!

I have some old ones (Taiwan flask) that are pretty nice but I've had no luck selfing or sibbing them. The ones I have will blast every bud if you grow them next to the regular charlesworthiis - they have to be shadier and closer to the wet pad.

Back