Paphiopedilum canhii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is really necessary to start the artificial propagation that the plants can come in trade very soon in an official way.

Best greetings

Olaf

Olaf,

Flasks have been made and two crosses have been successful but as we have seen on this forum in other posts, mature plants are already in other countries.
P. canhii is definitely in Europe, China and Thailand. Its possibly also in Taiwan from what I have been told. Why would someone want a flask when flowering size plants are becoming available around the world?

I think little regard is given to the survival of a species in the rush to get published first. It has been a common theme over the years that the plants have been found, described and then collected out. The taxonomists are advertising the new species to the collectors before anything can be put into place to protect them.

Mick

Last edited:
Nice photo's and the size of the flower amazed me, I thought it would be bigger.

It is really necessary to start the artificial propagation that the plants can come in trade very soon in an official way.

Best greetings

Olaf

I couldn't agree more, we can only hope that this plant natural habitat isn't collected empty through black market trade. But seeing that there are collectors all over the world that are willing to pay to dollars for new found plants I'm not counting on this plants habitat getting spared.

CITES is not working. It only makes it harder for the small hobbyists to acquire new plants. That is why we (Australia) are 4-10 years behind countries, where only lip service to control illegal plants is provided.

I'm traveling now so I can't check more often.
Yes this name after my name.
The flower can be bigger, the earlier post for this one is one of the biggest, the flower side can be up to 8cm. Thank you for your viewing and comment.

On my search to find the identity of that silly glaucophyllum noid hybrid I have I came across the following site:

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/society/paphio/saloon-62.htm

Now I don't understand japanese but as far as I can tell this is the site of a japanse orchid society. The page I linked shows some photo's of a presentation that includes in sity picks of Paph. canhii and also of Paph qingyonii and a new variety of gratixianum

$2 a plant in Hanoi or you can buy them by the Kilo in Lao.

Mick
Hello All,
This is what canh said at the link bellow:
"- A good lesson learn from Paphiopedilum helenae in the past as some or most of you should know already so the location I did not gave to any one (except the people I trust and the some authorities - I know detail location from my GPS)" and here is the link of what Canh said:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16167&page=3

Now, I wan to ask Canh, if you are the only one who knows about this location with GPS, how come there are kilos can be purchase.

• One, you could not be the one who discovered this paph. But you got this paph by orchid hunter. Now the orchid hunter let everyone else know the GPS location, (if so why didn’t you give some credits to the orchid hunter by mention their name when you registered this paph)

• Two, if you are the one who discovered this paph and the one who knows the location, How come there are kilos of paph canhii in Lao? Are you collecting all paph canhii from the wild? Aren’t you supposed to protect them?
I thought you are the one who said “A good lesson learn from Paphiopedilum helenae in the past as some or most of you should know already so the location I did not gave to any one”. Please, don’t contradict yourself
Regards,
BD

On my search to find the identity of that silly glaucophyllum noid hybrid I have I came across the following site:

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/society/paphio/saloon-62.htm

Now I don't understand japanese but as far as I can tell this is the site of a japanse orchid society. The page I linked shows some photo's of a presentation that includes in sity picks of Paph. canhii and also of Paph qingyonii and a new variety of gratixianum

I don't read Japanese either but my friend said it says "Introduction of the new species by Dr. Tanaka", The caption on the photo is in English and says canhii grows in Laos near the Vietnamese border.

Mick

Nice plant and flower! Congrats!
Everybody knows how the orchidmarket works. Many "legally" available species come out from jungle wild collected with CITES permits, however cites allows for trade only atreficially propagated plants.

Hi everyone. I'm so sorry for the one who just like to enjoin the beauties of the orchids world that always have to see something that they don't want to see. I also don't want to discuss about the name any more, everyone can read and have they own thinking. I collected around 20 plant of this species since I saw it in the wild even I saw a lot. (I'm not a hunter, just the orchid lover and just want to conserve it) but can be a mistake that I help to introduce this species to the public so all the orchid trader take that change to exploit it). Some people just try to write as more bad as they can just for one purpose is they want to now the location as soon as possible and it also cost them lest time to find it to sell. Finally they also success by taking a photos of my to show all orchids trader in Vietnam as a sample and use money to ask local people to find this species. I wish that I could do something difference. I will stop here for this thread. Thanks you all and best wish to everyone. Canh

Hello, I'm with you. Many sangiis were taken onto many forums some year ago, when it was freshly discovered new specie. I remember well. Nobody had problems with that. About many anitums, too. Many thaianum photo will pulished (eg. on THIS forum) however thaianum is just become legally importable plant. I can tell that I will take a photo of my totally illegal canhii in bud(opened for today), but I don't care. Somebody offered me and I bought it. I didn"t wish it been digged out from jungle for my pleasure. It was only offered and I bought one. Story is no more.

At this point, the plant is named and being collected and sold. The failure of CITES enforcement, (or even the lack of such enforcement), to stop the sale of plants across borders due to technology is apparent. Hopefully efforts will be made to keep species surviving in their native habitat; as well as to keep them surviving in any habitat.

Hi everyone. I'm so sorry for the one who just like to enjoin the beauties of the orchids world that always have to see something that they don't want to see. I also don't want to discuss about the name any more, everyone can read and have they own thinking. I collected around 20 plant of this species since I saw it in the wild even I saw a lot. (I'm not a hunter, just the orchid lover and just want to conserve it) but can be a mistake that I help to introduce this species to the public so all the orchid trader take that change to exploit it). Some people just try to write as more bad as they can just for one purpose is they want to now the location as soon as possible and it also cost them lest time to find it to sell. Finally they also success by taking a photos of my to show all orchids trader in Vietnam as a sample and use money to ask local people to find this species. I wish that I could do something difference. I will stop here for this thread. Thanks you all and best wish to everyone. Canh

hello Canh,
I don't think you should feel bad or blame yourself about the fact that other hunters or collectors found out & start to collect the species as well.
This is an unavoidable scenario for any orchids, or even non-orchid plants ( even if you don't show the plants or disclose any information, sooner or later someone else could still stumble on the same location and collect the orchid & wipe clean the area anyway) It is nice to show the flower on the forum, we always want to see pictures of orchids ( myself, I love to see vietnamese orchids pictures) don't stop posting new photos of blooming orchids

Yes, thank you for showing us great shots of this one. I had no idea it was so tiny.

With plants being sold by the kilo, it is wonder how any population could withstand that kind of pressure for very long. Even common species become rare that way eventually. I heard a story about a phone call someone I know got that went something like this: "Hey Mr. X I've got 2000 Reallyrareorchidium XYZ. Do you want them?" And Mr. X said, "2000? What can I do with 2000 of them? I didn't realize that there were 2000 to be collected."

And so it goes right now. Meanwhile governments (especially within their borders) are largely casting a blind eye or acting frankly silly (yes, I'm talking about Vietnam). The focus is put on exportation and smuggling while a brisk trade is going on within said countries. Hmmm....

Actually, the same thing is true here in Japan with what is left. I can buy kilos of collected Den. monilforme, Bulbophyllums, Gastrochilus, Calanthe, Cyp. japonicum, and on and on right online or at orchid shows or roadside stands. The only native orchid I know of that is carefully monitored is Cyp. macranthos, especially the ultra rare v. rebunense, found only on a small island off of northern Hokkaido. With the rest of the stuff it is open season 24/7.

I still post photo on this forum, just not discuss about canhii issue in this thread.
Here more photo about this one but it have a bit different

2011414151449153227231.jpg

Very cool! Thanks! Would you be able to put the others back up, so we can compare? Your other photos seem to be missing.

For the record, if someone offered me a wild-collected orchid, I'd probably take it, if for no other reason than I know I would try to save and grow it, and I don't know what fate it would have in other people's hands. No guilt here.

Back