Paphiopedilum bullenianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
small flower, about 5-6cm wide. Another one (brother) to come

P1080041.JPG

I have never seen a bullenianum with such a "giraffe" pattern. Very interesting! Can you post a picture of the whole plant?

That does have very strange petals. As fact, I don't recall blotches on a bullenianum at all. Only distinct spots and few

Paul,
Are you able to get a closeup of the staminodes on both plants? Interesting twist to the apple alliance!

I don't know... while the coloration and pattern is beautiful, the shape of the flower is pretty bad IMHO.
It looks asymmetric and the pouch is all wrinkly. The border of the petals is uneven.

Are these their first flowers? Let's hope they will be nicer next time!
Or maybe the plant was subjected to some kind of stress while buds were forming? Did you have any pests or did you treat the plant with any kind of poison?

that is a wild form... no selection here and that's good for me !! ;-p

Paul, no need to get all defensive. I wasn't saying your plant is hideous or anything. And I'm not a proponent to breeding all species towards huge round flowers.

I like both plants! But you can't deny that the flowers of these two are a bit off shape-wise. Not terrible of course, but this is why I was wondering if this is their first flower or if there was any stress (dryness/pests/poisons etc.) while the bud was forming.

Latest posts

Back