paphiopedilum barbigerum var. sulivongii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes, I was there when the first plants appeared on the Jatujak market 7 years ago. They were sold as 'coccineum', and now in Thailand, when Thai traders speak about coccineum, that's sulivongii. Some plants look like druryi, hard, erect leaves, slightly curved at their 2/3, reddish base. They still sell it by the box in Jatujak, but under the name coccineum ( that's the only foreigner name in fact they understand in Thai for any paphiopedilum...). That's the same seller ( NokYen) who incidentally had those laotian sulivongii and later the bellatulum pink. She was very famous on the market at a point, and selling a lot of things

That's a nice, dark clone for sure. I'm glad to hear that this variety is still sold by the box, cos it means the natural populations are not yet completey erased.
I know of at least one capsule of this variety in a lab in Europe, hope seedlings will be available soon.

Oh yea that's nice! I'm not so sure about the barbigerum part of the name. I here it called Paph sulivongii.

However, if its called barbigerum, there's a good chance it will be available. That's the ticket- pre-1990 availability. Some helenae got sold as "barbigerum v. helenae", and lots of rhizomatosum/vejvarutianum/areeanum were sold simply as "barbigerum"....despite being 3-4 times the size of a typical barbigerum.

Latest posts

Back