paphiopedilum baccanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paph baccanum should be a synonym for Paph schoseri. This seems closer to schoseri than anything else to me. We tend to get a mental picture of most species, especially 'rare' ones, that are based on one or a few specimens from collections over a limited geographic range, then selected forms from other areas or specimens from selective breeding look wrong. That doesn't mean they are. And you can't always expect to make a definite identification from a single picture.

Paph "baccanum" is a synonym of Paph. schoseri. It is one of those things that Gustav Schoser said he would/had published but never did. He mentioned the together with others in that talk at the 9th WOC but never published. Therefore P. baccanum is a nomen nudum.

Harold wrote:

paphiopedilum usitae called paphiopedilum baccanum, first introduced into the United States in early 1980s. It has also been described under the name paph. parnatanum . The plant looks to me as a hybrid of paph. javanicum var. virens .

Paph baccanum should be a synonym for Paph schoseri. This seems closer to schoseri than anything else to me. We tend to get a mental picture of most species, especially 'rare' ones, that are based on one or a few specimens from collections over a limited geographic range, then selected forms from other areas or specimens from selective breeding look wrong. That doesn't mean they are. And you can't always expect to make a definite identification from a single picture.

The schoseri above does resemble the one pictured in OrchidWiz but not the 'baccanum' shown in the link I gave. Indeed, it's much more beautiful than either. :)

Guido- wasn't there speculation at some point, by someone (it may have been Koopowitz, but it could have been someone else, maybe even you) that schoseri was actually a natural hybrid? It was long ago....

That picture is clearly an artificial hybrid...

Harold wrote:

paphiopedilum usitae called paphiopedilum baccanum, first introduced into the United States in early 1980s. It has also been described under the name paph. parnatanum . The plant looks to me as a hybrid of paph. javanicum var. virens .

Hakone picture is a baccanum, from the new collection made this spring ( I was there before someone else :D). They can be easily collected, but are not popular, so no one care so much to get them. I forgot, it is a hellish trip to go there, several flight and boat to finish the journey.

Parnatanum/Usitanum comes in fact from the Philippines, I have seen massive batches of those, they have nothing to do with schoseri. It is a real hybrid swamp or species, anyway it is collected in the Philippines. The plants can be massive, with leaves up to 40cm x 10cm). Not quite available, as the Philippines traders want a minimum order par batch of 1000 plants, which is worthwhile for randsii or anitum, maybe argus and urbanianum, but definitely not for parnatanum, a dull flower...

thus baccanum is not schoseri and which is schosseri ?:confused:

Dear Hakone,
here you will find pictures of the typical Paphiopedilum schoseri

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11382&highlight=schoseri

And here a wonderful example of this species

schoseri4.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Latest posts

Back