Paph Wardii X Magic Mood

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegayde

Reaction score
ok here is the current bloom pic....not sure if the bloom will get any better or not......what do you think? A rather interesting thing happened when I sent the pic to the E-Bay vendor I won the plant from....I will comment on that later

Todd

Attachments

• Paph Wardii X Magic Mood bloom.JPG
    Paph Wardii X Magic Mood bloom.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 61
ok here is the current bloom pic....not sure if the bloom will get any better or not......what do you think?
How long has it been at this stage? If days, then no I don't think it will get better but it's a first time bloom? ..... it should get better, I like the dorsal as well as the color in the petals! The twisted pouch is what's distracting to me.

Rose.....this would be the 3rd day since it started opening.....the twisted pouch bothers me of course.....it appears to be hitched up higher on one side....at first I thought it was sort of stuck to the rest of the bloom but if it was it since became unstuck.....since this is sort of my first Paph blooming I was not sure if the pouch would "relax" a bit and drop on that side or not.....and yes this is a division that I won on E-bay and it started throwing a spike about a month after I got it

Todd

Tadd........I sent him a pic of the bloom since in the listing he has said he did not have a bloom pic.....so I thought it would be nice to send a pic to him.....and this is the response I got......"The picture you sent looks like it has p.Magic Mood in it.I don't see wardii,but that doesn't mean it isn't that,as genetics sometimes favors one parent over the other.Furthermore,there are several species invovled in the breeding and sometimes they "whig out" and do funny things,perhaps due to enviornmental conditions.The split syn-sepal may be a product of that."
so being a novice I am not sure if perhaps the parentage is inaccurate on this or if the Wardii is not as predominant

Todd

I don't see wardii in there either, he other parent ?? yes ?? It appears to have a split ventral or does it?? Personally I don't see it other than a nice pot plant which it is.

I agree with Roy, it looks like a nice pot plant... and if it continues with the ease in flowering, then it might be a nice productive little pot plant too... sometimes it's nice to have those plants which bloom with minimum fuss.

I've had wardii crosses and made a few where wardii was one parent and the other was a "maudiae type", all had strong wardii influence. I'm guessing Magic Mood is a complex "bulldog type", is that right? I suppose a bulldog could mask any appearence of wardii. What about the plant itself? Are there any wardii traits in the leaves?

Magic Mood=Golden Diana X Peter Black

Here is a pic of the plant and a pic of a Wardii bloom and the Magic Mood bloom

Todd

Attachments

• Paph Wardii X Magic Mood 2.JPG
    Paph Wardii X Magic Mood 2.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Paph Wardii x Magic Mood.JPG
    Paph Wardii x Magic Mood.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 10
I should also mention that he offered the price of the plant back on a future order Todd
Do you now, know why the vendor made this offer???
The bottomline - do you like this probable NoID for the cost of shipping?

Rose he made the offer because he is not sure of the parentage based on the pic....as he said it is possible that it is correct but he did not see any Wardii in it either....and yes I like the seedling either way though of course it is upsetting to never know for sure what the parentage is....but based on all the posts I have seen on here questioning the parentage of blooming plants LOL I doubt this will be the only one I ever buy only to find out it is tagged wrong

Todd

I do have a question though to ask of ppl with more experience than myself.....if Wardii were one of the parents of this cross what would you have expected to see?

#1, some mottling in the foliage, spotting in the petals, striping in the dorsal to a degree. From the crosses I have seen, wardii tends to impart the same type of influence into its progeny, regardless of the other parent, as does sukhakulii but maybe to a lesser degree.

here is more of a close-up of the bloom I took at the same time....so more spotting and striping than this? The foliage is just dark green no mottling....also the foliage is very stiff and I guess you would say the leaves are thick....more so than any other Paph I have with the exception of the other cross I got from the same vendor.....that cross is White Knight x Magic Mood......foliage on it is dark green and stiff as well

Todd

Attachments

• Paph Wardii X Magic Mood bloom closeup.JPG
    Paph Wardii X Magic Mood bloom closeup.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 5
By your description of the plant there is no wardii, the spotting in the dorsal is not a characteristic found in either parent. The second plant you mention sounds like its ok. Flowering will tell.
The split ventral concerns me also, not a good sign even though its possible on any Paph.

Latest posts

Back