Paph. Varvara 'Penn Valley' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. Here are a couple of close-ups. Santa is supposed to bring me a good tripod this year. So forgive the photos. If, in fact, this plant was awarded 5 times under different names and mislabled to boot, I don't know who I'd be more disappointed with, the breeder or the AOS.

staminode.jpg

staminode2.jpg

Edit: Varvara has been bred with quite a bit, too. There are 5 registered crosses with Varvara as a parent. Most from the O.Z.

Hey Ross, do you think your two cultivars are actually the same plant?

I got the 'Penn Valley' cultivar from an AOS judge and the other Varvara, while not having a clonal name, came from Wharton Sinkler's collection, and he had made some crosses with the 'Searle 13' clonal name. I can post pictures when I get home. I'm replying from a Best Buy demo computer, right now.

Wow. Fair enough. One of the advantages of these discussions is we can see many peoples' versions of a hybrid. I stand educated.

-Ernie

Candace, the bump/horn is not where I would expect to see it if there was plants from the insigne group in it's background.

Ross,
does the 'searle 13' clone always bloom with this shape? If so, then they must be different clones. Or has the 'Penn Valley' clone ever looked like the 'searle 13' clone?(shape-wise)

Wow, that is a hard one. Candace it is still out, IMO whether there are 5 different clones or one with five different names! In the end, it doesn't really matter what it is. It ain't go'in make a hill of beans in the Paph world either way:wink:

Latest posts

Back