Paph. Varvara 'Penn Valley' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
This plant is one of my favorite fair. hybrids. I bought a piece of this plant some years back that came with some scale and was weak. It bloomed with 5 spiked and died. It's taken me a few years to find another piece for sale. Only one spike on this blooming but I won't complain.

Vavara.jpg

I really like the way the spots run together and give it such a dark color. It's marvelous. :clap:

Paph. Varvara = fairrieanum x Clair de Lune

Paph. Clair de Lune = Emerald x Alma Gevaert

Penn Valley makes me guess its one of Doc Wilson's (W.W. Wilson). I'm up at the Midatlantic Judging Center and that man in his 90's still comes to judging on a regular basis. I wanna be like him when im just an octarian, 100% spitfire.

That has really nice color on it. Congrats on finding a division, again, I haven't seen one that I can remember on the east coast.

Its beautiful...but does not look like a Maudiae type cross to me.... Claire De Lune has superbiens/curtisii, lawrencianum, and I think callosum in the mix....I think, regardless of the label, that it's fairreanum crossed by something with a lot of insigne influence....like one of the early complex crosses. Take care, Eric

I'm with Eric. I don't see section Barbata in there. Something in the villosum complex for sure. Look at the ears on the pouch, waxy sheen, and color. It screams boxallii to me- maybe it's the strong markings on the dorsal. Hard to say for sure as I don't have any fairrieanum X villosum-complex crosses. A pic of the leaves could be intriguing. Shoot, regardless, keep it! And send me a piece!

-Ernie

There have been 5 different clones of Varvara awarded and I looked at them in AQ. They all look a like and like this one. I would find it unlikely all 5 plants are mislabled.

Varvara was made in 1957 by G Welsh. He also made one other fairrieanum cross in 57 that was with Bahram. Paph Bahram has countless numbers of insigne and spicerianum in it's background. AND I finally found boxalii eight generations back! So, if G Welsh made a booboo it could of been with these two seed pods but someone would have to prove villosum 6 and 7 generation back or baxalii 8 generations ago would break through when crossed onto fairrieanum.

PS I use to have this plant as well, it is a beautiful slipper

I have always loved this little hybrid and after seeing thousands of mottled-leaf hybrids never really was convinced that the parentage was accurate as registered. It grows vigorously into a specimen plant in no time, it blooms its little head off with fantastic dark flowers in my cooler environment, and has survived temporarily horrific conditions over the years that should have killed even bindweed.

The three cultivars of Paph. Varvara I have in my collection are labeled 'Penn Valley', AM/AOS (acquired from Norris Powell); 'Searle 13', HCC/AOS (acquired from Bert Wright); and 'Nisqually', HCC/AOS (acquired from the collection of Maurice Powers via Baker & Chantry). [What a bummer - all those amazing orchid people are gone now.] There might be some mislabeling, but I honestly cannot find a significant difference in the three that could not be explained away as a normal year-to-year blooming variation that one might expect to see from the same cultivar.

Based on those observations this one appears to have a story similar to that of Paph. Ernest Read, i.e. - Questionable parentage, same cultivar very liikely awarded several times under different varietal names, but most importantly: highly desirable in most collections.

For all of you that have this plant; Does it or does it not have a horn/ bump on the staminode? I can't tell from Candace's PIC

Latest posts

Back