Paph urbanianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Enjoy
Paph%20urbanianum1_zpszxy8rf8a.jpg

Paph%20urbanianum2_zpssvrbwvgq.jpg

The flower is beautiful! But, I am really impressed with the plant! So vigorous! I struggle with mine, what are your secrets?

Ah! Perhaps I've been under-watering! I'll give that a try. I've been moving toward a less organic mix, too.

Gorgeous! I don't think the one I have is nearly so nice.
On the other hand, it's been awhile since it bloomed and
I don't remember it that well. I think I'd remember if
it was that wonderful.

Quality flower!

Rick, have you ever thought about what causes these barbata types (and others too I guess) to grow smaller leaves than they previously have and then flower? I have seen it so many times but I don't really understand why it happens. Could it be a question of timing or light maybe??
I would love to here some theories.

Personally I don't think it takes much to bloom a barbata type so with any bit of a secondary growth, boom!. You get a flower at the right time of the year (plant's picking, not mine). Mike, you will probably agree, the barbatum group of all the groups is the most dependent on its root system. The lost or even the begining of root trouble I've seen my plants go into a slow death mode and not be able to bring them back. With the discovery of the vini and Stewart Orchids, OZ breeding programs thousands of barbatum hybrids were made. Carefree growing became the norm with many of mine blooming on these so-called immature growths. Root maintance was easy with so much genetics involved.
Have you ever divided one of these plants and only had these "pups" as divisions? I have never. The fans seem to keep growing even after blooming. Although no new leaves emerge from the crown but the pre-bloom leaves continue to expand. Has anyone else seen this?

Latest posts

Back