Paph. Tyke

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

Here's my cute Tyke, first time bloom. Got it from Oak Hill 3 yrs. ago, they in turn got it from Mostly Masdies. It was 1 growth, it's now 6-7 growths, could put on a show next year. It will be interesting to see if the dorsal twists, I've been told the hot summer could be the culprit.
PaphTyke003.jpg

I like the pink and yellow together....very attractive! What's the cross....barbigerum x henryanum?
Correct, sorry I usually indicate that!
I have to tell a cute, funny story ......
It was just opening up the day before our show, I needed plants so I took it & entered it in judging hoping it would be open enough come Sat. morning. It is a primary cross, I entered it in class 32 bronze/mahogany, although class 33 pink/red should be OK but they say if in doubt enter it in the lower #, it could be dropped down if the judge's consider it differently. The judging team I was on judged these classes, I just kept my mouth shut! There were 3 plants in this class - a Dolligold, a multi, suppose to be lowii x tigrinum, (if I remember correctly) and my little Tyke! Of course, I was prepared for a 3rd place, how can I compete against the likes of the other 2? My Tyke got the blue ribbon! :rollhappy::rollhappy: The Dolligold had a color break in the pouch, the multi was in no way what it was entered, it turned out to be more than likely Matienzo's Condor, both were disqualified. The judges are looking at the Tyke and asking what the cross was, wouldn't you think with these computer programs that primary crosses would have both parents stated especially when the exhibitor provides that info? So I played along, wait ..... I know this one .... I'm quite sure henry x barbi, they agreed, oh yes we can see both parents, next .... the twist in the dorsal - response - it's kinda cute, I guess I'd expect that due to the cross & it's obviously a first bloom plant.... last question I posed - is it worthy of a blue ribbon, both judges thought so, I wasn't about to disagree!
So the moral of the story - you can get a blue ribbon, even if it's thru default of other entries!

Back