Paph. trigrinum questions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reivilos

Reaction score
Hello,
A few months ago, I purchased a 3-growth tigrinum (1 old, 2 new).
In the meantime, it has put out a new one, and now is about to spike.
I understood this species is prone to bud blast. Which precautions should I observe now besides
the 'dry period' (http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13004&highlight=tigrinum&page=3) ?
Thanks,
Olivier

sheath.JPG

I think so that praying is the most effective way to avoid it from blasting.
Mine has 4 growths, every year a new sheath formed but all of blasted. Someone wrote previuosly that after the 5th growth problem will disappear.

Yes, the blooms are easier on bigger plants.

I agree with chrismende. Be carfeful with water inside the growth!!!

And keep dry until the bud is out of the growth (just a little water on the top of the pot). Then you can watering gradually when the bud is out of the growth.

In the last orchid mag or maybe two issues ago. Perner Holger did another arcticle for chinese paphs and the was a caption about tigrinum that seemed to say the dry period was only for the winter months and the bud blasting was due to the plant not being cool enough (or to warm,however you want to say it). This year over the winter I kept my tigrinums cool and pretty dry all winter. When I started watering normally in march they really took off with roots and top growth better than they ever had.

So try to keep it cooler if possible.

I agree with Cheyenne,
I grow tigrinum with all my parvis and they rarely blast and usually put up multiple spikeseach year and grow well. My problem is that they never seem to hold on to older growths for long so it is hard to get it past 3-4 growths at any one time.
Rob

A little update ...
bud%2520shows%2520up.JPG

The spike eventually showed up. It seems to grow by 1mm/week :)!
I kept the crown dry, but kept watering because it sent a root through the bottom of the pot to get water !!!

The blasting thing with tigrinum seems to be an enigma. Wet/dry, pot water only/ winter water restriction......Some seem to blast continually regardless of temp/watering until they get to be a large clump.

In the wild they bloom May - July when a massive monsoon kicks in in June. So the do go through a cool/winter dry, but does that mean it effects a summer blooming?

For many the clump size makes more difference than seasonal watering/cooling cycles.

I've been nursing along some seedlings I purchased in 2003. They been up to 6 or more growths and back down to 1, and then back up. Same for root growth.

They've been blasting for the last 5 years. I put them in baskets about 2 years ago, and went to low K fert. Leaf and root growth has never been better. One doubled the number of growths in the basket in just the last 6 months. It has a couple of sheaths going since late July. I started checking substrate conductivity and found quite a bit of fertilizer buildup so I started flushing (it takes a lot too!). The growth rate of the leaves, sheaths, and roots has accelerated in just a very short time since dropping down the substrate EC. So we'll see if this season will be different.

Lots of the blasting I think can be attributed to excess K in the plants and potting mix. Large multigrowth plants can suck up more feed than single plants so the "large clump" factor may reinforce this.

Check the EC of your pot and consider a big flushing. Try cutting feeding way down and see what happens.

Well well... 1mm/week * 2 weeks = 2mm !!!
Both spikes are growing slowly. We can't see it on the picture but the spikes are greenish, not brown.
I measured EC as Rick requested. I just have to get hold of my notes.
I've been busy with a few new acquisitions so I forgot about that picky one.

Well well... 1mm/week * 2 weeks = 2mm !!!
Both spikes are growing slowly. We can't see it on the picture but the spikes are greenish, not brown.
I measured EC as Rick requested. I just have to get hold of my notes.
I've been busy with a few new acquisitions so I forgot about that picky one.

I'm still getting slow advancement of a couple of bracts/spikes. But getting even more new growths and roots at the same time. I haven't had this much new growth in the plant since it got large enough to bloom blast several years ago.

I don't think it's number of growths as much as maturity of the division. Mine blasted a few years in a row, then became a reliable bloomer. It got more growths after successful bloom than before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361485212.953387.jpg
Little update. The first bud took 7 months to get out... Now that it's out, it's growing faster.
Too bad we don't see tigrinum bud more often.

Back