Paph. trigrinum questions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like water all over those buds.

Making good progress though. Normal blooming time is late spring for these guys, so speed should pick up.

Here is a close-up of the seldom seen bud. Unfortunately the other bud blasted :eek:.

P1070036.JPG

It's worth noting the sheath is still freckled, and green.

Nice I would love to see the foliage of this plant.

P1070038.JPG

You'll notice it's in kanuma. Last year I saw pics of tigrinum growing on trees.
I thought trees=>acidic=>kanuma huh? As I found no serious feedback for paphs, I tried it myself...
DON'T DO THAT !!!!!! I did it too for a parishii and two delenatii. Plants grow leaves (the tigrinum put another strong growth), sometimes roots, but roots eventually get eaten away!
Maybe the substrate is too acidic, I don't know.
That's why I asked Hakone feedback on his move to kanuma... I'm not sure it's the way to grow, especially for brachys.

P1070038.JPG

You'll notice it's in kanuma. Last year I saw pics of tigrinum growing on trees.
I thought trees=>acidic=>kanuma huh? As I found no serious feedback for paphs, I tried it myself...
DON'T DO THAT !!!!!! I did it too for a parishii and two delenatii. Plants grow leaves (the tigrinum put another strong growth), sometimes roots, but roots eventually get eaten away!
Maybe the substrate is too acidic, I don't know.
That's why I asked Hakone feedback on his move to kanuma... I'm not sure it's the way to grow, especially for brachys.

Nice! what is that reddish coloration at the base of the growth?

It's some kind of acidic Japanese soil bonzai-aware people use for azalea (among other things). It's yellowish and crumbles easily.
I've been looking for a serious analysis of the media on the Net, to no avail.
Strangely enough the leaves are perfect but the roots are not in a good condition.
I remember Roth (where is Roth?) saying it wasn't suitable for roots development.

It's some kind of acidic Japanese soil bonzai-aware people use for azalea (among other things). It's yellowish and crumbles easily.
I've been looking for a serious analysis of the media on the Net, to no avail.
Strangely enough the leaves are perfect but the roots are not in a good condition.
I remember Roth (where is Roth?) saying it wasn't suitable for roots development.

I have the feeling some kinds like it.

But only micranthum pure and armeniacum mixed with calcium loves it really.

The others like it mixed with bark, this is what Popow uses at the moment.

If you search in other post I think there was told that it is a natural soil which is burned till it stay like that.

Maybe for Tigrinum you should try the bigger size, as Popow have them in the bigger particels now.

Latest posts

Back