Paph St Swithin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Second time flowering. Last time I got two flowers so I'm delighted with four. I couldn't be happier with this clone. The flowers are huge and I like the colour. The plant is still small so the best years are ahead of it.

Paph St Swithin (rothschildianum 'Tiger March' SM/JOGA x phillipinense 'Tokyo Harmony' SM/JOGA).

Wish they all looked like that, heavy on the flowers and less leaves.
#2 does it for me.

Sorry I missed this posting David earlier!
Yes, these newer plants are far superior to old 1974 clone I have!

Sorry I missed this posting David earlier!
Yes, these newer plants are far superior to old 1974 clone I have!

Before flowering this plant, I sort of underestimated how good St Swithin is. I think this cross is a bit under appreciated. Possibly because the old clones weren't so good as you say. Depending on the philipinense parent the quality can vary. This plant is one of the better multi's I have flowered. I have never seen phillipinense 'Tokyo Harmony' but it must have amazing petal length. The petals on this St Swithin are considerably longer than any phillipinense I have flowered. It is almost as if the crossing of these two species has had a synergistic effect on petal length.

It's just a wonderful one.

For me, St Swithin is the best rothschildianum hybrid. OF course, it's my favorite hybrid.
I have at least 5 different plants.

For petal length, it's clearly a very good one but not as long as a good philippinense. I had one phil. with 10"-12" petals length. (But it's unfortunalely dead now...)

For me, this plant has far better color and shape then the Penn Valley clone I have. The only issue I have with David's plant is the petal stance. A really nice smooth arching stance of the petals would be more pleasing for my self. I have another St. Swithin that holds it's petals similar to David's plant. I feel if my plant would of had more twisting in the petals a smoother arch would of developed.

For petal length, it's clearly a very good one but not as long as a good philippinense. I had one phil. with 10"-12" petals length. (But it's unfortunalely dead now...)

I've always wanted one of those really long petalled philipinense. They are hard to come by.

Could the philip parent be var. robellini? You did note the extra petal length, and possible small plant size.

Most likely. I think most St Swithins use roebellini.

The only issue I have with David's plant is the petal stance. A really nice smooth arching stance of the petals would be more pleasing for my self. .

I know what you mean. I prefer that as well. I wonder if you are starting to defy physics though when you get these longer petaled clones.

Back