Paph. Shirley Amundson

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddybear

Awarded Stud
Reaction score
This hybrid is just great...this is the third blooming within a year! Wish my Phrags were as reliable!

PaphShirleyAmundson2008copy.jpg

Nice paph. Todd! It's so cute.

Looked up Phrag. Cape Sunset, Eric - it's gorgeous, though looks like it could get to be a pretty big plant. I see Orchids Limited has it for sale...

Joanne

Not huge...unlike most of my paphs which have 5-6 leaves before blooms, this one consistently only has 3-4 leaves per growth then blooms. It has 3 active growing points at the moment.

Eric, you must be LYING! A phrag blooming 2-3 times per year? Several of mine are monsters with 4 growths and still no blooms...I guessed blooms on phrags once every 4-5 years if your are lucky...why do I keep buying these creatures as they give me such heart-breaks?!

Not huge...unlike most of my paphs which have 5-6 leaves before blooms, this one consistently only has 3-4 leaves per growth then blooms. It has 3 active growing points at the moment.
Sounds like a real winner!

Eric, you must be LYING! A phrag blooming 2-3 times per year? Several of mine are monsters with 4 growths and still no blooms...I guessed blooms on phrags once every 4-5 years if your are lucky...why do I keep buying these creatures as they give me such heart-breaks?!
Try giving them more light, if you can -- or over a longer period of time. And maybe cooler nights.

4 growths w/out blooming!?! I'm suprised; what are your temps during the warm season and how long is it? Anyway, the 3n Cape Sunset is definitely a quick producer.

How many phrags do you have? Its possible that you have some duds. Overall, I find phrags far easier to grow and bloom than paphs...but in my collection are a few space wasters....I have a Rosalie Dixler that will not bloom no matter what...I still can't believe that I haven't chucked it as I have Mem Dick Clements, virtually the same cross, that bloom normally. I have a huge flowerless Grande that I have had for well over 10 years...no wonder it was given to me...and a schlimmii I have had also a decade or more, but I'm just happy that its stayed alive....Take care, Eric

In regards to phrags, I think light may be the problem. I grow them with the paphs in an east window. Cool nights are the norm (13-15 C) for 8 months of the year. Summer nights may be 18-23 C. Day temps are 17-20 C winter and maybe up to 25 C in summer. I should think the temps are fine. Do phrags need more light than paphs? Most of my 16 plants are besseae hybrids.

In regards to phrags, I think light may be the problem. I grow them with the paphs in an east window. Cool nights are the norm (13-15 C) for 8 months of the year. Summer nights may be 18-23 C. Day temps are 17-20 C winter and maybe up to 25 C in summer. I should think the temps are fine. Do phrags need more light than paphs? Most of my 16 plants are besseae hybrids.
Yes & no! Some of my bess X's are grown in higher light, others lower, depends on who the other parent(s) are.

FYI
P7100359.jpg

THis is the flavum Cape Sunset I got from Frank Smith at the January 2008 WOC in bloom, as you can see it now has 2 spikes starting on the new left and right growths. I grow in full light [NYC Cattleya style! :D]

well it seems light is indeed my main problem....I'd have to grow them in the south window but that space is taken up by the oncidium alliance collection....hmmm it seems I have a conundrum.

Back