paph sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john d

Reaction score
I have just become a proud owner of this beautiful species. I am currently growing in a small greenhse in the midwest. I would like to ask input on other growers how they are growing theirs successfully. Are there any special needs you have observed over the culture period? Light, watering etc? thank you

WELCOME john d! Where about in the midwest are you! What size plant are we talkin'? I'll tell you what Chuck Acker told me - "people kill them with kindness, treat them pretty much like you would other paphs in the coryopedilum group. They take less light in comparison to other multis, some even prefer shady conditions, especially if they're seedlings.

WELCOME john d! Where about in the midwest are you! What size plant are we talkin'? I'll tell you what Chuck Acker told me - "people kill them with kindness, treat them pretty much like you would other paphs in the coryopedilum group. They take less light in comparison to other multis, some even prefer shady conditions, especially if they're seedlings.

Add to this that mine like breezy and humid conditions.

The sweet spot in my GH for them is hanging into the center ilse were they get the full breeze from the wet pads, and are heavily shaded by my other multi-florals that are closer to the exterior walls. Humidity stays greater than 70%. I did pretty crappy with them until I got the humidity thing down.

Welcome to Slippertalk, john d. Congrats on attaining a sanderianum. I'm growing mine warm, 60-75% humidity, under lights and with constant air movement. So far, my seedling in doing fine.

the sanderianum is in a 4 inch pot currently in bloom with 10 inch petals that are growing longer every day, with three flowers. It has beautiful markings in the dorsal and the pouch has nice color also. It is blooming on a single growth plant approx. 10-12 inch leaf span.

Agree with all above. Humidity and air flow are important, but I might add that good quality tap water low in total dissolved solids or reverse osmosis/rain water is helpful as well.

Mine do fine with a cool ohio winter but then really pick up growth in the spring/summer at the first sign of warmer temps.

Sounds like yours bloomed on small growth, does the plant seem strong enough to support the effort? Are there new growths starting yet?

Latest posts

Back