Paph praestans

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
I thought this year I would get a better result with flowers but no, One flower again. The plant isn't that big so I suppose I can't complain, atleast I can get a selfing done for some more plants. This is as close as I can get to true color, the pouch is just a fraction redder that normal, thats all.

index_001-19.jpg

Roy, let me preface this as I seem to upset folks lately :> Though I think you're a big boy and I won't hurt your feelers by asking....why would you want to self-pollinate it if it has only given you one flower two bloomings in a row? Are they especially rare in Australia?

Roy,
It doesn't look like to more typical praestans with the redder colors. Could it be more on the lines of the bodegomii discribed praestans? If so, a selfing could be worth it.

Candace, I think the single flower problem is plant size. It hasn't been a good grower for me in the past because of the compost difficulties and housing. The new growths are building up much better this year so maybe more flowers next time. This form seems to be rare as most or all of the "praestans" seen here in recent years have been "wilheminiae" or wilhem' x gardineri/ praestans. I'd rather do the crossing now than wait for it to prove it can produce more flowers, too long to wait.

Roy,
It doesn't look like to more typical praestans with the redder colors. Could it be more on the lines of the bodegomii discribed praestans? If so, a selfing could be worth it.

Rick, I sent what I could of the flower in pics to Dr. Guido Braem for identification if poss' to clarify the name. His reply was that it was a "praestans" ( glanduliferum, not that he accepts ths name nor do I ) and it didn't appear to have any other influences, like "wilhlem or bodeg" in it. Most of what he has seen do have these in the breeding but not this one. The redish pouch is as I noted more intense than is actual in the flower.

Rick, I sent what I could of the flower in pics to Dr. Guido Braem for identification if poss' to clarify the name. His reply was that it was a "praestans" ( glanduliferum, not that he accepts ths name nor do I ) and it didn't appear to have any other influences, like "wilhlem or bodeg" in it. Most of what he has seen do have these in the breeding but not this one. The redish pouch is as I noted more intense than is actual in the flower.

Oh! Whats he know!!:poke: I've only seen one other plant labelled bodegomii and it had a lot of red in it. Of course it could of been labelled wrong

Rick, I think there is a problem with these plants also, like philippinense & roebelinii, over the years certain plants have been used that tend to cloud the issuse with no-one actually sure which is a true species any more. I can only accept Guidos info as to what it is.

Interesting, Roy. I have no idea what plant material is available there.

The big items on sale here at the moment are most of the species out of China and Vietnam and hybrids from them. They are coming in by flask from a number of nurseries. Complex hybrids are hard to find, Maudiae types are fairly common as are the multi florals. Phrags are very expensive, particularly besseae and hybrids from.

Back