paph phillipinense ????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do agree with Olaf. I have scanned a picture in a book taken by my friend Joel Dayao (Philippine book on orchids) in which they called it var laevigatum and stated that it is a small plant rarely 8 cm wide and small flowers. The flower and staminode looks like yours but paler

Ramon:)

Paph. philippinense var. laevigatum
3034525711_6cff945af5_b.jpg

The staminode does look too narrow for a regular philippinense; but, I don't think it's a hybrid with any roth in it. It's certainly not Paph. St. Swithin. It looks just like a philippinense except for the narrow shape of the staminode.

For comparison, here's a photo of my Paph. palawanense. A.K.A. Paph. laevigatum [or, philippinense], v. palawanense for all you lumpers. The staminode on this plant is also quite narrow.
000_0017----4.jpg

Here's a link to my thread on ST from 2 years ago.http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386&highlight=miniature+laevigatum

"John, did this plant parish in the freeze?"

Luckily, no. I don't understand why not. It was near the outside wall and was surrounded by other plants that were killed. It was right next to a huge, specimen Phal. Orchid World 'Joe' AM/AOS that was turned into wet mush by the next morning. This Paph didn't lose a single leaf to the cold. Whew! In fact, it bloomed again this summer; but, the flowers weren't nearly as good as the previous blooming two years ago; so, I cut the stem to save the plant's strength.

One thing that is interesting to note: The foliage is not soft, like a regular strap leaf Paph. The leaves are very thick, succulent and stiff, like a Mexipedium, or succulent cactus.

FYI

The book was written by Andres Golamco in 1991

I think you should have referred to the author when using pictures from his book :poke:

I do agree with Olaf. I have scanned a picture in a book taken by my friend Joel Dayao (Philippine book on orchids) in which they called it var laevigatum and stated that it is a small plant rarely 8 cm wide and small flowers. The flower and staminode looks like yours but paler

Paph. philippinense var. laevigatum

FYI

The book was written by Andres Golamco in 1991

I think you should have referred to the author when using pictures from his book :poke:

Sorry I for got to do so. (I am bad). I was a contributor to that book by lending my photo and plant. Example the Paph. randsii at page 104.

Unfortunately - this can only once again add to the confusion
the id is already made difficult by historical misinterpretations and personal ambitions and commercial interests too.
as said elsewhere phillipinense is very widespread throught the phillippines - the compact form is not only found in palawan - but also on the mindoro Island and elsewhere too,

putting a var compactum is on a plants is imo nonsense -- this will only generate more questions.

my five cents or centimes if your prefer

In the latest issue of 'Die Orchidee', the orchid journal of DOG, the german orchid society, Olaf Gruss, Lutz Röllke and Jürgen Röth publish a new description of a further philippinense variety: var. compactum from Palawan. As the pictures shown with the description had some resemblences with my plant, I pm-ed Olaf to ask his opinion about my thread, and here what he answered (with his authorisation):

Originally Posted by ORG
Hallo Jean,
your plant looks really like the phillipinense var. compactum. I have seen around 100 plants and some of them differed also in staminode.

Viele Grüße

Olaf

So, this is interesting news!

Jean

Back in the Philippines. And still waiting for the CITIES to be given on the artificially grown seedlings.

Latest posts

Back