paph phillipinense ????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
The flowers of the plant I got with tag eliottianum opened and, for me, they look like phillipinense !!?? But I would need your confirmation or altern. proposals! Thanks Jean

the plant; stem size +/- 20 cm:

sepal length +/- 12 cm:

closer:

really intersting shape to the staminode... i've never really noticed it on philippinense's....

there's something really fascinating and beautiful about this flower...

thanks for sharing Jean.

It looks like a very pale P.philippinense and nothing more then that. Sorry Jean I was hoping for adductum or something new when you first posted your purchase.:(

That sometimes happens. Who has never lost a label ? Anyway, it's always a great disappointment but I am sure the prod will understand and do something to ease situation. I feel sorry for you JeanLux even if this phillipinense is still a very nice plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a nice multi there! It will be interesting to see in a couple of days once the flowers open up more!

Do take another photo in a few days when the open further. Grrr. Mislabeled plants make me grind my teeth!

Well I don't know enough to hazard a guess, but I think it's fantastic whatever it is! If you ever work it out, I'll start looking for one to buy!

Dan

Assuming the tag should actually read 'elliotianum x something' then the best guess might be elliotianum x philippinense. It is easy for long names to get truncated as tags are copied. Since elliotianum = rothschildianum, this would make your plant St. Swithin, but that can only be a guess unless the supplier can confirm it for you. Depending on the price and how long you've had it a reputable supplier should give you a partial refund for a mislabeled/No ID plant.

I still think it's a hybrid with phil. in it but that's just my opinion...

I think Heather and PaphMadMan are on the right trail. The staminode isn't P. philippinenese like. And if you compare the staminode with that of P. rothschildianum a hybrid with it is most probably.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Assuming the tag should actually read 'elliotianum x something' then the best guess might be elliotianum x philippinense. It is easy for long names to get truncated as tags are copied. Since elliotianum = rothschildianum, this would make your plant St. Swithin, but that can only be a guess unless the supplier can confirm it for you. Depending on the price and how long you've had it a reputable supplier should give you a partial refund for a mislabeled/No ID plant.

Thanks a lot for your feed-backs!!

I got the plant 2 weeks ago, BS, for a very modest price, far from that of any spiking multi! :) ! Jean

maybe elliotianum is not a synonym of roth at all... was there ever a plant tendered into a herbarium when elliotianum was described? maybe this is the long lost species :)

I think it just opened. The staminode could become light yellow later on. I have one that looks a lot like yours. It is laevigatum. The flowers are usually a lot paler than the philippinense. Bernhard

In the latest issue of 'Die Orchidee', the orchid journal of DOG, the german orchid society, Olaf Gruss, Lutz Röllke and Jürgen Röth publish a new description of a further philippinense variety: var. compactum from Palawan. As the pictures shown with the description had some resemblences with my plant, I pm-ed Olaf to ask his opinion about my thread, and here what he answered (with his authorisation):

Originally Posted by ORG
Hallo Jean,
your plant looks really like the phillipinense var. compactum. I have seen around 100 plants and some of them differed also in staminode.

Viele Grüße

Olaf

So, this is interesting news!

Jean

I think it just opened. The staminode could become light yellow later on. I have one that looks a lot like yours. It is laevigatum. The flowers are usually a lot paler than the philippinense. Bernhard

Thanks Bernhard! Koopowitz considers laevigatum as var. of philippinense. does your's also have the indentation on the basis of the staminode and the rel. small stem? Jean

Latest posts

Back