Paph phillipinense (laevigatum form)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I bought this in flower a few months ago and it has now put up a second spike. Possibly because it is later in the season and the sun is directly overhead, the flowers are facing 4 different directions so they have not displayed well. Unfortunately the flowers finished opening up while I was away over Christmas and had started to to brown off by the time I got back. The one negative with phillipinense is the short flower life. On this clone and others, I have found that by the time the 4th flower is opening the first flower is browning off.

David

laevegatum22008.jpg

laevegatum2008.jpg

Last edited:
This form is quite a bit different from the other forms.

Very nice.

Philis in general are pretty fast in allot of things they do. I have had better luck with flower times when I move them closer to the wet pad once the blooms start to open.

I have found that moving them to lower light levels seems to extend the bloom.

Great blooming David. Could the plant had gotten a little dry while you off for Christmas?

Possibly Rick. But when it flowered a few months ago it was exactly the same as was my roebelinii. The flowers last maybe 2 to 3 weeks. I generally get at least 6 to 8 weeks for most of my other multi-florals. The flowers on my Harold koopowitz lasted 3 and a half months. So it is mainly this species I have problems with.

I might in future try and grow it in more shade when in flower.

David

Beautiful flowers and due to the more compact habitus of var. laevigatum it's very worthy to grow. I grow it too and I'm very pleased.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Beautiful flowers and due to the more compact habitus of var. laevigatum it's very worthy to grow. I grow it too and I'm very pleased.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

I agree with you totally Rudolf. I personally don't think the flowers are as nice as some of the other forms of phillipinense but the small compact habit is a real winner.You can have a specimen plant in a 10 cm pot.

David

Latest posts

Back