Paph. philippinense var. laevigatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably visit the nursery this weekend as they are celebrating their 100 year aniversary this weekend. I'll exchange thoughts with the breeder if he isn't to buisy during the celebrations.

Maybe during your visit the owner will have more of the laevigatums blooming and you will see the variation. Does your plant list parents on the tag? Its a mute point but I suspect its not bred from the pure strain of laevigatums. Like David said "They're all philippinense'"
Nothing I've said takes from it's beauty! Very "intuned" parents you have!

It is very interesting that there are so many different clones of P. philippinense. But there are groups which originally came from the same area. This one has very broad leafs and compact growth, but huge inflorescence with flowers that have untypically rounded pouches.

Compare it with this one: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21108&highlight=philippinense

And here is another one of this type: http://www.slipperorchidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706260&highlight=philippinense

I spoke to the owned of the nursery that supplied this plant and he was also aware of the issue. He was told that the plants originated from the same seed capsule but he agreed that some plants didn't really show traits that point in the direction of laevigatum.

He was allready sorting out the plants that he still had. Still I'm happy with the plant I have and I prefer this forum over the form of a pure laevigatum.

You can read a lot about philippinense, but at the end, you only know that you don't know. P. philippinense, var. philippinense, var. roebbelenii, var. laevigatum, var. palawense, var. album, var. semi-album, roebbelenii var. album, laevigatum var. album, the newest: var. compactum...

IMHO this showes that the species has many variations in growth, size, colour and origin and that it is nearly impossible to put everything in order.
Examples:
Long petals = roebbelenii, well, but what size are "long petals"?
How does a "true" laevigatum look like and how can you identify a plant that is not laevigatum?

I could live with the normal philippinense and the variety album. I think that for line breeding it is very disturbing that some people just name their plants var. roebbelenii, just because the petals are longer (and it sounds better). Wouldn't it be easier to say: this is a good example for philippinense and this one is not my thing?

Wow Marc, I really like your Philippinense. This is my next favorite paph next to Sanderianum. I was reading this thread and comparing the leaves of your laevigatum to mine and it seems somewhat different.

I will post a picture for comparison.

IMG_0620.jpg

This was labeled Philippinense var. Laevigatum. As you can see the leaves are skinny. I think the longest leaves is about 40cm give or take.

John mini plant is the true horticultural 'laevigatum'. They are always clumpy, extremely tiny plants. The palawanense have narrow leaves, bigger, and bleached out flowers with not very twisted, short petals. robeeliniii has narrow leaves, heavily twisted petals that can be very long.

The best very big philippinense are exceedingly rare in cultivation, they come from Sabah ( there are a few pictures in Cribb's Slipper Orchids of Borneo), many flowers, wide leaves, very long petals dark and wide, superb shape. I happen to have a few of those, but now they are not available anymore. The 'philippinense Sabah' sold everywhere are just plain philippinense. The real Sabah plants were sold far too expensive, so nearly no one bought at the time they were available (100MYR/30USD per growth, compared to rothschildianum at 8MYR/2US a growth).

Many seed grown plants are crosses between various forms and various colonies. When ordering philippinense from Philippines, they always put several colonies together in the box, including laevigatum types, roebbelenii, etc... for the last 30 years.

This is what i have.
Really want to know what should i call the plant?

var.laevigatum? or var.palawanense?

18560_443689260229_802645229_11062194_8142611_n.jpg

Back