Paph Oberhausens Rubin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
First time I have flowered this. It has to be one of the slowest growing orchids in my collection. I do have plants that don't grow at all, but this plant does grow and looks very healthy but growth is at a glacial pace. I bought this as a FS plant (had already flowered) in 2007. So it has taken 8 years to get this plant to flower for a second time. Not sure it is worth the effort. I like the dark spirally petals but the dorsal is a shocker. The size of the plant is amazing. It is the same size as the wilhelminiae parent. If it had 3 or more flowers it would look a lot better, but I may need to get much bigger growths for that to happen.

The label says this plant was initially repotted in 2001 (by the previous owner). So this plant is at the very least 15 years old. Probably older as the person I got it off wasn't the original owner. Hopefully I don't have to wait another 8 years to see it flower again.

This cross was made by the Orchid Zone.

Paph Oberhausens Rubin (sanderianum 'Ray' x wilhelminiae 'Black Magic')

Wow! That is very striking! I'm a sucker for long twisty petals, and the colour is gorgeous. I would say it was worth the wait! :)

Make sure you have lots of pictures David just in case it does take 8 yrs! I use to have this cross as well....never flowered it and die after many yrs.

Nice looking flower though.

That's a very cool flower! I love the petals. I admire your patience, though. 8 years is a long time.

Very nice! And I applaud your patience!
Why don't you give it some more time ( since you've already invested in some) and see how those two new fans behave?

It is great that it is small but the flower has amazing petals!
Even those dots are symmetrical. lol

I remember when this cross (or similar) was making the rounds back in the late 90's or early 2000's. At the time I was on the hunt for P. wilhelmenia and its hybrids, which were hard to find and expensive for a kid. I always wanted one, but never did get one.

Anyway, it's a really nice dark flower on a small plant. I like it, but I'm glad I'm not growing it. I've already got too many plants that only bloom once a decade or so.

If it has a Z number I can tell you how old it is exactly from our records.
But I am guessing about 20 years.
Yes, some of these multiflorals are slow, but this plant seems like a laggard (no offense) of the cross. I have seen this cross be quite vigorous, for a multi floral.
That said, the goals of this cross are worthy.
JC

First time I have flowered this. It has to be one of the slowest growing orchids in my collection. I do have plants that don't grow at all, but this plant does grow and looks very healthy but growth is at a glacial pace. I bought this as a FS plant (had already flowered) in 2007. So it has taken 8 years to get this plant to flower for a second time. Not sure it is worth the effort. I like the dark spirally petals but the dorsal is a shocker. The size of the plant is amazing. It is the same size as the wilhelminiae parent. If it had 3 or more flowers it would look a lot better, but I may need to get much bigger growths for that to happen.

The label says this plant was initially repotted in 2001 (by the previous owner). So this plant is at the very least 15 years old. Probably older as the person I got it off wasn't the original owner. Hopefully I don't have to wait another 8 years to see it flower again.

This cross was made by the Orchid Zone.

Paph Oberhausens Rubin (sanderianum 'Ray' x wilhelminiae 'Black Magic')

Very nice! And I applaud your patience!
Why don't you give it some more time ( since you've already invested in some) and see how those two new fans behave?
lol

I'll keep growing it. It doesn't take up a lot of space and I have invested so much time in to it. :) The last time I repotted it a mid size growth fell off which I have separately potted. It is not bad at putting out new growths.

If it has a Z number I can tell you how old it is exactly from our records.
But I am guessing about 20 years.
Yes, some of these multiflorals are slow, but this plant seems like a laggard (no offense) of the cross. I have seen this cross be quite vigorous, for a multi floral.
That said, the goals of this cross are worthy.
JC

Thanks. The number on the label is Z3059.

Yes, I expect I got one of the runts from the flask. I have no doubt this would normally be quite a vigorous cross.

Latest posts

Back