Paph Oberhausen's Diament

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
This was the paph that bloomed down in the crown. It made another spike from the same growth, and thankfully came out pretty decent this time.
DSCI0490.jpg

lovely!

did you say it made a second spike from the same growth?
I thought paph growths can only give one spike

It seems to be a somewhat common occurrence with intersectional multifloral hybrids - a bloom barely emerges from the fan of leaves and will often be deformed from the crowding, followed by a spike that develops normally from the same point. I suspect this may be more a case of confused development, with the first node of the spike flowering too soon followed by more or less normal development of the rest of the spike, rather than truly 2 spikes.

It seems to be a somewhat common occurrence with intersectional multifloral hybrids - a bloom barely emerges from the fan of leaves and will often be deformed from the crowding, followed by a spike that develops normally from the same point. I suspect this may be more a case of confused development, with the first node of the spike flowering too soon followed by more or less normal development of the rest of the spike, rather than truly 2 spikes.

It sure looks like 2 spikes developed. The first one turned brown and dried up.(I cut it back). The second one came up beside the old dried up one.:confused:

Gilda, your plant has the most interesting patterning on the leaves. I have two and they're plain green(mostly). The double spike thing happened to me a well this fall. Two plants and both had a coch species as one of the parents

Gilda, your plant has the most interesting patterning on the leaves. I have two and they're plain green(mostly). The double spike thing happened to me a well this fall. Two plants and both had a coch species as one of the parents

The ones I have seen are mostly green, and I am tempted to email Carter & Holmes (where I bought the seedling) a picture to see what they think.

Back