Paph venustum album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty flower ... but sorry to say this, unfortunately no album .... due to the dark dots/spots in the center and the edges of the sepals.

it will probably open up quite nicely
yeah it did spread out a lot after the photo, and the petals swept back a LOT! sort of the sweep we were hoping to see on a hennisianum.

Wow! that is a beautifully captured plant. Bravo on the photo work... the flower too, of course.
thank you! it is always a struggle for me to get good pics of white flowers....

Pretty flower ... but sorry to say this, unfortunately no album .... due to the dark dots/spots in the center and the edges of the sepals.
yup, I thought the same myself, but the label it came with ids it as var. album and many of the "alba" pics we see online of this from European vendors have even more coloration (but more pink than brown). the petals actually have gotten even a bit more brown towards the tips since this photo. the pic was taken about a day after it opened, and already you could see some coloration. we have another venustum album that is in low bud, but from a different vendor so hoping that the other one will be truly alba form. here's hoping!

yup, I thought the same myself, but the label it came with ids it as var. album and many of the "alba" pics we see online of this from European vendors have even more coloration (but more pink than brown). the petals actually have gotten even a bit more brown towards the tips since this photo. the pic was taken about a day after it opened, and already you could see some coloration. we have another venustum album that is in low bud, but from a different vendor so hoping that the other one will be truly alba form. here's hoping!
You should have learned by now .... tags don't always say the truth. There are different reasons why it is this way .... but it is.

You should have learned by now .... tags don't always say the truth. There are different reasons why it is this way .... but it is.
yeah, it seems like the tracking and naming of orchids is...lets say...unregulated.

yeah, it seems like the tracking and naming of orchids is...lets say...unregulated.
No, I wouldn't say it this way and I didn't mean it this way in my post.
What I meant is, in orchid laboraties and nurseries work human beings and on the one hand humans make sometimes mistakes. On the other hand nowadays all Paphiopedilums are still seed propagates, mericloning doesn't really work with Paphs, and the cross is named by the parent(s) plant(s) and due to the genetics rules even if you cross two true albinos not all progenies must be albinos.
The mayority of these plants will be sold before first flowering.
That's why mislabeling may happen from time to time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back