paph niveum fma album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I'm not on Twitter (conscientious objector because of present ownership), I can only see half a flower, so more than difficult to form an opinion of any kind!
Jens, I'm not on Twitter too. Click on the photo and you will see the entire flower even if you aren't on Twitter....than you can form your opinion.

Twitter= nothing but trouble
Face Book= nothing but trouble
I agree, it is not niveum but it is a pretty flower!!

If I wanted trouble in my life, I would still be married!!! 🤪1687523680267.png1687523680267.png

your guys' feedback is great! i thought to myself this flower did not look quite like my other niveums and it's comforting to hear confirmation of my suspicions. i've not seen ruffled petals in any of my other niveums.

IMG_9340.jpeg
here's a close up as requested. of course the staminode just so happens to be a little wonky.

i've had quite a few plants that have been just a little bit off. twists and wrinkles in the leaves, misshapen this or that. how does this happen? bad genetics or bad grower? 😬

Indeed it's a nice little flower .... but I'm not convinced it to be Paph. niveum album. I see a Paph. godefroyae album or var. ang-thong album ?
Would be nice to read what others think about this.
This was supplied by me and I have checked in the greenhouse and the niveum albums are grown right next to the Greyi albums and do look very similar in leaf Apologies for the mix up

I love it regardless of the mixup! It's definitely a keeper. Should I correct the tag as Greyi album?
Yes! And in your shoes I would love it, too! 🥰
This was supplied by me and I have checked in the greenhouse and the niveum albums are grown right next to the Greyi albums and do look very similar in leaf Apologies for the mix up
Such things happen, even for the best! What separates the wheat from the chaff is the willingness to admit an error, when occurring, and to rectify the error, if the customer wants it!

Ps. I, too, was the "victim" of a case of mistaken identity. I ordered a P. esquirolei, typical form, from Mr. Tibbs - and "poor me" ended up with this, but decided not to file a complaint after all 😁: 20230506_122217.jpgPaph. esquirolei fma. viride 'Richard Glob IM' BM/DOK, 2023

Last edited:
Paph. x ang-thong is the natural hybrid between godefroyae and niveum
Paph. Greyi is the the artificial hybrid between godefroyae and niveum
considering the albino forms are crossed, we can assume Greyi
Is there a difference between plants obtained from natural and artificial crossings, except that it is possible to artificially cross the plants which seem to us the prettiest? If not, what is the point of giving them a different name?

Hi Merc,
I love the way you reacted to the 'mistaken identitity' situation. You have a lovely Greyi fma. album to be proud off. 🏆
Next flowering try not to change the orientation of the container/flower while the flower is opening and the wonky staminode on your little cutie could be fixed.

Hi Jens,
Your statement on "wheat" and "chaff" is so very true! I even belief it is valid both on sellers and buyers.

In my 40+ years of buying Paphs, I have encountered many cases where the plant has flowered as something else. I have seen it happening even with the most 'famous' sellers around. When considering the many manual steps they need to take on many thousands of plants over many years from pollination to maturity, sometimes depending on other parties when delegating certain steps, even with the most love and care, it would be a miracle not to make any mistake along the way. It is indeed all about the willingness to admit error and to rectify if the customer wants it. When I read Michael's reply above, I can only consider him as part of the "wheat" sellers (if that doesn't sound too creepy in this context?)

Sadly I also see "chaff" buyers. My personal experience, is that when you contact the seller directly, with a very reasonable comment, and very reasonable expectations, you get a very reasonable reply back. Sometimes I see people bypassing this confidential track and abuse social media to add pressure to the seller by exposing their subjective part of the story. Any professional sellers will keep their part of the story internal - which I belief is the only correct way to handle this - but puts them always in the weakest position. I think those "chaff" buyers don't yet realize they will lose more than what they intended to gain.

Is there a difference between plants obtained from natural and artificial crossings, except that it is possible to artificially cross the plants which seem to us the prettiest? If not, what is the point of giving them a different name?
Genetically none. Botanists that discribe plants and growers that register crosses are working independantly in parralel worlds with different agenda's. This is how they come to co-exist. Indeed artificial crossing can make selections that would be VERY UNLIKELY happening in nature, like two albinos being crossed in nature would be close to impossible, while in greenhouse it is a real possibility. You can find more context in my posting paph-xang-thong-fma-album-paph-greyi-fma-album

Back