Paph Morganiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cheyenne

57af6abd.jpg

ad55eaa7.jpg

This plant is a piece that came from a friend that got it from a botanical garden he works for. The garden only has orchid records that go back to 1900. This plant was brought to the collection before that. The records card says paph superbiens x paph stonei var platyanium(I think I spelled that wrong, I don't have the card in front of me). Anyway for those that don't know this variety of stonei was a single stonei plant that is believed to be a peloric. So it had very wide petals which comes through nicely in this hybrid. Dr. Orchid has posted pics of this hybrid with a award 'bufordese'(spelling). That was a division from the original plant, I think these are from the same plant, when you see it in person it is amazing and huge. But mine has been in the botanical garden for a hundred + years so it is hard to tell where the divisions originated from. I have three divisons of this and I am willing to part with one if anyone is interested. Zepherus orchids had a division on there site for $800. I would take considerably less than that. Please feel free to add anything to the history of this plant or correct me if you know it.

Yours is most likely a division of the same plant 'Bufordese' That particular clone was divide many times in the 70's and 80's and passed a round to everyone! Three of my friends had the same clone in the 80's

very very nice! blooms seem big!

The blooms are relly big. I should of put in something for size reference. It shows the "hybrid vigor" because they are bigger than both parents. What amazes me about this hybrid is the colors. The picture does not show it correctly. They are more vivid in person. There is so many different colors. The dorsal, petals, and staminode have alot of different shades. The pouch also has different tones from the top to bottom. I plan to use it in breeding. Leo showed a hybrid of Morganiae x roth that was excellent recently. I want to cross it back to stonei, and some other things more along the lines of superbiens and company.

Latest posts

Back